Beginner in need of help

KyleFalkor

I have a 6 gallon tank, and my tank water levels are all fine, Aside from there is always a slightly high nitrate, and nitrite level. I've been doing 10% water changes every week.
I actually just changed the filter for the first time, but I had a fish actually die. And I'm thinking it was due to the high nitrite/nitrate. Before I corrected the issue, but like I said it's still always kinda high. Is there anything I can do to make it better. I don't want to throw a bunch of chemicals in there. All I use currently is some prime seachem.

Spudsssy

Hi,

So you are doing a cycle with fish in a 6gal tank?

How long has the tank been cycling?
How many fish are in the tank?
How did you change the filter? Did you replace filter media with new media?

10% weekly water changes isn't enough. You should be changing water multiple times a week to keep nitrites down. Not all fish die, but they certainly do suffer with ammonia and nitrites in the tank (Even small amounts) and are even more susceptible to disease.... also with high nitrates.

KyleFalkor

Spudsssy said:
Hi,

10% weekly water changes isn't enough. You should be changing water multiple times a week to keep nitrites down. Not all fish die, but they certainly do suffer with ammonia and nitrites in the tank (Even small amounts) and are even more susceptible to disease.... also with high nitrates.
I'm not sure what cycle means?
I have 3 tetras.
Just today I changed the filter, as it was 4-6 weeks since setting up tank.
Soooo... 2x a week on the water change?
My water is clear.

Candace

KyleFalkor said:
I'm not sure what cycle means?
I have 3 tetras.
Just today I changed the filter, as it was 4-6 weeks since setting up tank.
Soooo... 2x a week on the water change?
My water is clear.
So cycle means the nitrogen cycle. To simplify: It's setting up a tank and adding an ammonia source to grow and establish bacteria necessary to the health of your tank. The bacteria feeds on the ammonia (waste) that the fish or food produce. Also changing the filter is a myth and a con by the aquatic companies. As long as the filter isn't falling apart you just have to rinse it in tank water or conditioned water every 2-4 weeks the filter is mainly what the bacteria grows on so replacing it is like restarting the cycle. There are a couple methods to cycle:
-The fish-in cycle which means setting up a tank and getting a fish and frequent water changes to keep ammonia down until the bacteria establishes (this is dangerous and stressful for fish).
-The fishless cycle which means setting up and running a tank and "feeding" it with either food or pure ammonia. Once the parameters start to stabilize people slowly start adding fish.

Nickguy5467

Spudsssy said:
Hi,

click on the cycle link spud and or the one candace created to learn more. imo fish out with pure ammonia cycling is the fastest process and humane . while fish in takes longer and what i like to call giving them an acid bath and hoping they survive the long process >.> get your self a test kit API Master Test Kit learn it and monitor your values along the way. if you're lucky its pretty far along when you test it and your fish are fine. though throwing out your filter may have been a bad idea as it had all your progress on it. i dont like disposable filters floss things,but i did start out with one. I feel like they are designed to break down on you and throw away all your bacteria. i just use sponges as my tap water is fine and i dont have to worry about any heavy metals etc. they also have tons of area for bacteria to live. one way to keep your nitrates down is live plants. since they feed on it. they wont get rid of it but it will help. though i usually only have nitrates in my tank now after a weeks worth of liquid ferts(2x/Week) so thats the only reason i do water changes.

Lilthuglet

This might help:

Nitrogen Cycle.jpg

Top Bottom