Beginner in Need of Advise for First Water Change and When to Add New Stock

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

I‘m a Beginner and a, looking for some advise of a couple of points.
My Tank is 75 gallons, I added the first fish 4 days ago along with donor bacteria from squished out filters from the fish store.
I believe the tank was instantly cycled as I have yet to see any ammonia or nitrite.
My current stock includes 12 harlequin Rasboras, and 9 cherry barbs.
Would it be safe to add a baby Bristlenose Pleco ( 1.5”) today or should I wait longer before adding anymore fish?
The next point I need advise on is the first water change, as you can see in my picture below, there is a lot of scum from the donation of squished out sponge filters from the local fish store attached to my filter intake. When I turn off the filter the scum will fall of and likely be taken up by my gravel vac.
Will this disrupt the tanks cycle I am worried that lots of the bacteria are in this gross scum and am scared to remove it but it is inevitable?

Tank 75 Gallon

Ammonia ( 0ppm)
Nitrite (0ppm)
Nitrate (10ppm I think mostly from fertilizer)
temp ~77
12x harlequin Rasboras
9x cherry barbs

Any advise is very greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, it sounds like you're doing things well! I would let the tank establish itself for a few weeks before adding anything new, especially something with a good amount of bioload like a Bristlenose. I can't say for sure how much bacteria is in the scum, but if you're worried about loosing it, collect it and add it right into your filter.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Deku-Cory said:
Hi, it sounds like you're doing things well! I would let the tank establish itself for a few weeks before adding anything new, especially something with a good amount of bioload like a Bristlenose. I can't say for sure how much bacteria is in the scum, but if you're worried about loosing it, collect it and add it right into your filter.
Thank you for you help I really appreciate it! I think I’ll wait a bit before I add the Pleco.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom