Beginner Help Greatly Appreciated

1. T

TheLamph New Member Member

My girlfriend and I were thinking of getting some fish as our place does not allow for other types of pets. Upon looking into it her prefered type of fish is a betta while I like pelcos. I did some looking and it seems the can be tankmates, my question is would a 5 gallon tank be to small or should we try to include other fish into the tank? Or maybe get a bigger tank altogether? I want to do my best for these fish and not over crowd or anything else to cruel to them.

Thank you to those who read this.

2. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

a 5g would only be able to house a single Betta with a few shrimp and or snails.

If you wanted a Bn pleco (They only get 5-6") you would need a 29g at the very minimum.

3. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Some Plecos may get way to big for some tanks. For a betta and a pleco it would be A 29g or more. @JesseMoreira06 mentioned above. Some require more like a common pleco needs 150g plus.

4. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

I know BN plecos need 29g, but why? Is it their size? Bioload? Activity?

5. JesseMoreira06

all of the above, but mostly due to bio-load. They are huge water wasters.

6. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

Well, they're catfish, aren't they? And all catfish I've ever seen poop like crazy!

And how do you find out about a particular fish's bioload?

7. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

i need to show you a pic of my common grow out tank...every evening is a water change and a syphoning due to its amount of poop. Quite stressful little buggers

usually youtube works....or experience

8. JesseMoreira06

Through my own Experience, I have 15 tanks with lots of different species of fish, I also breed, but if not through my own then through other repputable aquarium hobbiest experience.

9. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Valued Member Member

I say go for the betta. If you want a small tank, a 5-10gal with a betta and shrimp is a very fun setup, and would be easier to care for as beginners. Plecos can be a bit of work, and as mentioned above need a lot more space