Beginner friendly plants for a freshwater aquarium

Angelamay44

Hi,
Looking to add some live plants to my 30 gallon aquarium. It's a fresh water tank, that does have some aquarium salt added to it, and is about 80 degrees. I am looking for easy to grow, hard to kill options.

Thanks

StarGirl

Hi Welcome to Fishlore! :)

How big is your tank? What kind of light do you have?

Anubias and Java ferns are pretty easy. They just have to be tied to something or the rhizome will rot. Pretty bulletproof. They are pretty slow growers though. Don't need a ton of fertilization.

Floating plants like Hornwort or Guppy grass are pretty easy also.

Can I ask the reason for the salt? Most fish dont need salt unless you are healing something. Or if they are a brackish fish.

PeterFishKeepin

Angelamay44

Hi,
My tank is 30 gallons.

I added the salt after reading that it put essential electrolytes in water that helps gill function, as a precautionary measure. About a quarter of what was recommended for my 30 gallon tank. No sick fish, that I can tell.
I have danios, guppies, platys, and 2 mystery snails. Total 13 inhabitants.
I do currently have some floating pennywort, but would like to add more plants. I can tell they like having it.

StarGirl

Hi,
My tank is 30 gallons.

I added the salt after reading that it put essential electrolytes in water that helps gill function, as a precautionary measure. About a quarter of what was recommended for my 30 gallon tank. No sick fish, that I can tell.
I have danios, guppies, platys, and 2 mystery snails. Total 13 inhabitants.
I do currently have some floating pennywort, but would like to add more plants. I can tell they like having it.
Yeah you dont need the salt. Most dont use it in planted tanks. Snails are not too keen on it either.

PeterFishKeepin

I would only use salt in a different tank or container if the fish is actually sick.

Peharps have a look at the plant list i added above or search up something like, 'hardy aquarium plants' and a whole list of good ones will come up.

FishDin

Buce are nice plants that grow like anubias and java fern, attached to hardscape.

Both Buce and Anubias have several types to choose from. Some large, some small, and with differing leaf shapes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
  • Question
65 Gallon Tank Beginner freshwater plant
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
colbywebre47