Beginner Fishless Cycle Success Story

Ree C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just wanted to share with my fellow beginners...a fishless cycle really can be done!
I shudder to recall the fish I killed in my college years when I had no clue about the nitrogen cycle.
Anyway, I started with a new 55 two months ago. I began by designing it substraite up.
I have aquarium sand in front, and a combination of eco complete and Fluval Stratum in back. I used rocks and wood to glue down a barrier between the two. I used aquarium safe silicone to afix things. Then I partially filled it and planted.
After it was full, I added the two Aquaclear HOBs and heaters. (no good place for a canister filter). I was able to move a large sponge filter from a gold fish tank into the new tank. Lighting is with a Finnex 24/7 planted.
I used Fritz Aquatic's powder ammonia. I followed the directions on dosing, used my API test kit to test. I had a fast cycle because the sponge jump started it with bacteria.
Within an 8 days I had 0 nitrItes, and was getting nitrAtes...ammonia was dosed up to between 1 and 2 PPM and I redosed when it fell to 0. It took two more weeks for that to fall to 0 within 24 hours.
At that point I did a 90% water change, checked PH , kept dosing ammonia for two days until I was confident in temperature and PH.
The totally cool thing about doing the fishless cycle is I then got to fully stock the tank!
I added 8 skirt tetras, 10 zebra tetras and 6 cory Juliis...and had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItaes from the get go. I did use paraguard for 3 days to prevent ICK...but discontinued when all seemed well. I know not using a quarantine tank is risky, but I don't have one running as of yet.
Please consider fishless cycles...so much kinder than putting a poor goldfish or guppy through the toxic water, and you get to add a lot of fish at once!
I hope this is all acceptable practice...if any experienced fish keepers see something bad I did...let me know! I know not using a quarantine tank is a risk...
Any other success stories with fishless cycles from beginers?

jessatiel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Congrats! I’m many weeks deep into my first fishless cycle (from scratch... no seeding material), so your success story is very reassuring!

Ree C

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jessatiel said:
Congrats! I’m many weeks deep into my first fishless cycle (from scratch... no seeding material), so your success story is very reassuring!
Hang in there. The reward is worth the wait....!!! A week in and the fully stocked tank is doing great...I lost one too light tetra to the filter intake but the rest are alive, well and beautiful.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Keep an eye on the parameters and watch for any symptoms from the fish - healthy fish really shouldn't get stuck to the filter intake, so he was likely weak/sick to begin with.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn’t worry about not quarantining your initial stocking. If you bought your fish at the same place.

Now is when you need a quarantine tank.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congratulations Ree. You have earned your wings.

Hunter1 said:
. . . Now is when you need a quarantine tank.
Unfortunately when it comes to fish tanks two is one, and one is none. I say this to you because the time that you need a quarantine tank is not the time to begin assembling one. It too needs to run for a month first or it won't be healthy enough to put a sick fish in.

Or even a healthy one, as you now know.

It doesn't have to be much. A $6 plastic tub, a small heater and a $10 foam filter with an air stone. But you have to get that filter cycled before you can populate the QT.

Actually my fish room always stays about 78°F, and only the largest of my three quarantines is heated now, because it sits closest to the window.

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ulu said:
Congratulations Ree. You have earned your wings.

Unfortunately when it comes to fish tanks two is one, and one is none. I say this to you because the time that you need a quarantine tank is not the time to begin assembling one. It too needs to run for a month first or it won't be healthy enough to put a sick fish in.

Or even a healthy one, as you now know.

It doesn't have to be much. A $6 plastic tub, a small heater and a $10 foam filter with an air stone. But you have to get that filter cycled before you can populate the QT.

Actually my fish room always stays about 78°F, and only the largest of my three quarantines is heated now, because it sits closest to the window.
How many days is adequate to quarantine a new fish? Also, can you effectively quarantine multiple fish simultaneously? What if they’re from more than one source.

My apologies to the OP for going off subject.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on the fish, but 30 to 60 days is common.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom