Beginner Fish, For Beginners

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This thread is made mainly for the newbies, but I want everyone to contribute!
I'll list some rules, and the stuff you do here.

RULES -
Basically, you just post a fish that you think that is very easy, and you recommend for newbies.
Try not to post the same fish, but its alright if it happens!

Each person can list a few fish, also list some basic care.
I'll list mine!

The first one that I love keeping, and is a very easy fish to care for is the betta.
Bettas are very colorful, have a great personality, and can be trained!

You can easily train your betta to follow your finger, and do some tricks!
I only have my bettas to follow my finger, my betta (perry) is a very social betta to all, he loves to chase your finger!

Some basic care for your betta!
Hope you understand!

Diet -
I would recommend keeping a daily diet of flakes, or pellets..
All though occasionally you can give them a treat, (bloodworms ect.) but they are not healthy every day.

I personally love Omega One's betta foods.
My betta goes crazy for the pellets.

Tank Sizing!
I would recommend having a 2.5g minimum for your betta.

All though, thats depending on the species of your betta. Plakkats are WAY more active then long fins, and I would personally recommend keeping plakkats in a 10g IMO, but they can be kept in 5g.
I have my betta in a 2.5g at the moment, but later when my 20g is open, I'm upgrading him to that. He loves to swim, and I think my 20g long would be way better for him.

A list, for a healthy betta habitat.
(for newbies)

LED Light
Silk, or Live Plants
Substrate (i like sand in my betta tanks)
Some Rocks (to make the tank look pretty!)
Filter (gph depending on size)
Heater (watt depending on size, 5w's per a gallon)
Indian Almond Leaves (not needed, but my betta loves them!)

Another Fish would be..?

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Platys.

Diet. Flakes made out of salmon meal, whole fish meal, or whole ingredients. Pellets may or may not work, but they don't in my experience.

Tank size. A tank that is at least 24 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches.

Stuff you will need.
Some type of filter.

Thats basically all, unless you are someone who keeps their house at 18c, then you will also need a heater.

CricketKeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Not a fish, but mystery snails.

They are so fun to watch zoom around the tank. They are so fast for snails! Not to mention their funny antics.

Diet: Will eat almost anything and appreciate algae wafers, blanched veggies, and snello. Calcium supplements are sometimes needed for their shells. Cuttlebone can be used for this.

Tank sizing: 5 gallons per snail. These snails poop a lot, so be mindful if you already have a high bioload. They also need some room at the top of the tank to be out of the water and lay eggs, so leaving at least an inch of the tank without water is recommended.

Requirements (supply wise):
-tank
-cycled filter
- food
-cuttlebone (depends on if they need it, you'll start to see shell damage if they do)
-heater (depends on where you live, they like the 70-78 degree F temps IME)
-decor, because it is cute to watch them crawl around on decor looking for food
-a hood, because they can crawl out of tanks

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Platys.

Diet. Flakes made out of salmon meal, whole fish meal, or whole ingredients. Pellets may or may not work, but they don't in my experience.

Stuff you will need.
Some type of filter.

Thats basically all, unless you are someone who keeps their house at 18c, then you will also need a heater.
Nice Choice! I have some of myself! Except my house is getting really cold here in the winter.
I don’t know if I will be ordering a heater, if I close my Versa top it keeps heat, so it sort of warms it.

Not a fish, but mystery snails.

They are so fun to watch zoom around the tank. They are so fast for snails! Not to mention their funny antics.

Diet: Will eat almost anything and appreciate algae wafers, blanched veggies, and snello. Calcium supplements are sometimes needed for their shells. Cuttlebone can be used for this.

Tank sizing: 5 gallons per snail. These snails poop a lot, so be mindful if you already have a high bioload. They also need some room at the top of the tank to be out of the water and lay eggs, so leaving at least an inch of the tank without water is recommended.

Requirements (supply wise):
-tank
-cycled filter
- food
-cuttlebone (depends on if they need it, you'll start to see shell damage if they do)
-heater (depends on where you live, they like the 70-78 degree F temps IME)
-decor, because it is cute to watch them crawl around on decor looking for food
-a hood, because they can crawl out of tanks
Thanks for the input!
Nice list of the care!

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Platys.

Stuff you will need.
Some type of filter.

Interesting story:
I had some Platies enduring temperatures of around 14 to 9 Celsius (at its worst during night) for maybe a month at my yard. Half of them died. The other half are on bigger tubs now that have an average temperature of 15 Celsius at night, 18-20 at day. I have miniature fry on another tub that has an average temperature of 15 Celsius. They are doing well so far. Growing bigger each day. They are **** resistant. I hope they make it to summer so they can breed and give rise to a more resistant Platy generation. The tubs are relatively big and have overflowing holes on them so I just constantly change the water anyways which waters my yard (like 2-3 times per week. 50% on 50 gal tubs lol). The water quality is probably very good because of that.

Prism

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Interesting story:
I had some Platies enduring temperatures of around 14 to 9 Celsius (at its worst during night) for maybe a month at my yard. Half of them died. The other half are on bigger tubs now that have an average temperature of 15 Celsius at night, 18-20 at day. I have miniature fry on another tub that has an average temperature of 15 Celsius. They are doing well so far. Growing bigger each day. They are resistant. I hope they make it to summer so they can breed and give rise to a more resistant Platy generation. The tubs are relatively big and have overflowing holes on them so I just constantly change the water anyways which waters my yard (like 2-3 times per week. 50% on 50 gal tubs lol). The water quality is probably very good because of that.
Very nice story!
I hope they do good growing up!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom