Beginner Cycle Help

Iamonslaughtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys,
Like many, i was not aware of the nitrogen cycle until it was too late. Last week i purchased a 29 gallon aqueon led deluxe kit along with 6 small tiger barbs. 2 days in, and i was down to 2 TB and finally came across the nitrogen cycle information when frantically googling how to save my fish. Im quite embarrassed and feel horrible for mistreating these guys and i want nothing more than to get this water right. 3 days ago i went and purchased 2 of the medium sized Tetra Safe Start bottles, did nearly a 90% water change with pre dechlorinated water, waited 24 hours, double dosed the tank and replaced 4 Tigers to keep the school somewhat happy. Im a bit confused on my API master test kit readings. Im aware thet say not to test for 2 weeks, but i couldnt help myslef and also saw others get results in as little as 48 hours after dosing. This morning my readings are: PH: 7.2 Ammonia: 4.0 Nitrite: 0 and Nitrate: 5.0. Shouldn't i have seen nitrites before nitrates? Why is my ammonia still so high? Will a water change kill my cycle or is my cycle even working? I do not want to lose any more fish as i feel bad enough. Oddly enough the tiger barbs are acting great. Chasing each other all around and eating fine. Thank you for reading this and any help is GREATLY appreciated.

bigdreams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't test and wouldn't change water for two weeks. If you can't do that then TSS isn't a good product for you.

If you must change water , consider using Seachem Stability instead.

Good luck.

Iamonslaughtt

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I wouldn't test and wouldn't change water for two weeks. If you can't do that then TSS isn't a good product for you.

If you must change water , consider using Seachem Stability instead.

Good luck.
Thank you for the response. I read 4.0 ammonia readings can kill the establishing bacteria, which is what scared me but i will do as they say and not trust the readings period until 2 weeks is up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom