Beginner CO2 (Injected...I think) help needed please

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 25 gallon dirted planted tank. It is stocked with 7 Cardinal tetras, Malaysian Trumpet Snail, Dwarf Sword (Echinodorus tenellus), Green Cabomba (Cabomba carolinians), Green Myriophyllum (Myriophyllum aquaticum), java fern (Microsorum pteropus), and Egeria densa. I want to increase my Cardinal Tetra shoal to a dozen. Also plan to add an Apisto and some Cories. My substrate is a layer of Eco-Complete and a layer of Flourish. The tank also has driftwood in it.

I under-dose with Excel once a week and am thinking I should finally take the plunge with CO2 for my plants.

I've been worried about using CO2 because it is a gas under pressure and that sort of thing tends to make me nervous. It is probably an irrational concern but still one I have.

On Amazon I saw a couple Fluval kits and am looking for some input.

Namely I want a CO2 system that is:

1. Cheap (not much money, definitely under $100...probably under $75 as a max)
  2. Beginner friendly
  3. Easy to use
  4. Safe
  5. Decent quality (middle of the road/average quality)

Would a Fluval kit meet my needs and be suitable for my tank while also being safe for my fish?

I saw online that some people who run CO2 for plants do just enough to take the edge off (so to speak).

What is thought of these two Fluval kits?

(says it is for tanks up to 15 gallons, but would it be ok for my 25 gallon?)

(says it is for tanks 15-40 gallons)

Also, a couple other items pop up when looking at the above. Are either of the below a recommended addition to the above two kits?

Before anyone suggests it I know I'm not up for doing a DIY CO2 method nor am I up for a complicated process of getting different parts from all over the place.

aniroc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My short answer is: no.
Fluval kit will cost you more down the road than a complete pressurised system.
An 88 g cartridge last me about 3 weeks and cost $15 in Canada. I see it's cheaper in States but still. I can mix sugar and yeast for one year with this money.
The ceramic disc is included in the kit and I believe it is a good product. It works with DIY sugar/yeast as well. It needs a bit of pressure to work but it produce fine bubbles.
Bubble counter is also included with the kit. My fish loved it. It was visible from the tank and every time a bubble was released, my fish will try to catch it.

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can find a reliable CO2 refill station, a 5lb CO2 system will cost the least down the road but unfortunately also has the biggest initial investment. A paintball CO2 system is a good mid-point. The initial investment is lower but refills cost more. I have 4 paintball tanks and I have them refilled at nearby sporting goods stores. They do not refill 5lb CO2 tanks. For those you have to go to balloon or welding supply stores.

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aniroc said:
My short answer is: no.
Fluval kit will cost you more down the road than a complete pressurised system.
An 88 g cartridge last me about 3 weeks and cost $15 in Canada. I see it's cheaper in States but still. I can mix sugar and yeast for one year with this money.
The ceramic disc is included in the kit and I believe it is a good product. It works with DIY sugar/yeast as well. It needs a bit of pressure to work but it produce fine bubbles.
Bubble counter is also included with the kit. My fish loved it. It was visible from the tank and every time a bubble was released, my fish will try to catch it.
Appreciate your thoughts on this. I may have forgotten to include this in my posting but I won't be doing any DIY CO2 setup. Sorry if I forgot to mention that.

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
matsungit said:
If you can find a reliable CO2 refill station, a 5lb CO2 system will cost the least down the road but unfortunately also has the biggest initial investment. A paintball CO2 system is a good mid-point. The initial investment is lower but refills cost more. I have 4 paintball tanks and I have them refilled at nearby sporting goods stores. They do not refill 5lb CO2 tanks. For those you have to go to balloon or welding supply stores.
I'm understanding that the Fluval setups, or something like them, will have an ongoing cost for the replacement CO2 tanks and long term will end up costing more because of the CO2.

Can't figure out if a Fluval setup, or something similar, would meet my other needs of being:

Beginner friendly
Easy to use
Safe
Decent quality (middle of the road/average quality)

Perhaps I don't need to bother with CO2 at all because of the plants I have? Just thought they could use a little boost.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom