Beginner Carpet

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Andromeda, Apr 23, 2017.

1. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Hi, is there any plant that I can use to carpet my sand aquariums? Preferably low maintenance because I'm on a super low budget. My substrate is white sand.
    (PS. I have corydoras and plecos, so something that can withstand their inquisitiveness)
    Thanks!!

2. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Java moss! Staurogyne repens is also a good beginner carpet plant. Some of the bigger ones would be dwarf sag and crypts are also great carpeting plants.

Here are some pics of my java moss carpets, I have some on meshes and others just in the sand
    1589804be0bcac7be51d78e9e4c328c1.jpgdd812cecda43bd71a8895768bed975d5.jpgf1a47984b3052effdaf1dfade8eac53f.jpgb0c0786ec03c869bfb33af51729d470b.jpg

3. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What kind of pleco? Mine will uproot many plants. Something like dwarf sag may be your best options, as they usually root pretty well and will spread through runners.

4. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Ooh I was thinking of java Moss! But then I heard that it needs regular trimming and gets out of hand.

It's a bristlenose pleco

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2017
  5. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

6. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

If you have a pleco or cories, S. Repens is a horrible choice. I can't keep them rooted in my betta tank.

Java moss is about the easiest option, or dwarf sag as listed above. You can also use other types of moss (christmas moss, etc.).

7. AndromedaValued MemberMember

Okay! I know this may sound like the stupidest question in the world, but can I put these plants directly into the sand or do they need some other substrate under the sand?
    And will they be fine without co2 and fertilisers?

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You shouldn't have out of control Java moss growth. Every thread I've seen on that here, has actually been algae, not Java moss. It may grow quickly under good conditions, but you can easily trim it and add it to other tanks or throw it away or sell it.

The Java moss shouldn't be planted, but the others are fine in sand. The root feeders (dwarf sag, crypts, S. repens, etc.) should have root tabs in the sand to provide them with nutrients.

9. Al913Fishlore VIPMember

The main problem with staurogyne repens is that the trouble might be getting them to root quickly otherwise the corys will uproot them.Here was my group of staurogyne repens until something leaked into the tank and killed almost all of it, I only have 4 stems in my 40 breeder now and they are slow growing. I had corys in the tank
    0173e1d70c5ad264ed8ea21d957ca2ee.jpg84c96925d64a43cc9c5ac5b7752e1c4f.jpg

10. AndromedaValued MemberMember

I see. Lovely pictures! I was judged reading up elsewhere as well, would monte carlo be okay?
    There is a sale of monte carlo seeds pretty cheap right now.

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

12. DolfanFishlore VIPMember

With sand you will need some root tabs spread though the area you want them to grow. I would suggest dwarf sag, it is fairly easy and does great in sand, shooting out runners. You can easily trim and replant to confine it to a certain area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice