Beginner C02

1. Cat Catherine Member Member

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about dosing my tank with c02 but have no idea how to go about doing it and what I need. (I'm planning on getting everything tomorrow since it's my only day off)

Does anyone have any helpful links, or recommend any products they've personally used?

Thanks

2. Skyy2112 Member Member

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You mean dose with a liquid substitute or inject CO2?

4. Cat Catherine Member Member

I don't know. What do you think is easier or better?

5. Beretta Initiate Member

The equipment to inject CO2 is not cheap, but not horribly expensive either. And once you have it, all you have to do is refill the CO2 bottle periodically. Dosing with something like Flourish Excel is very easy and helpful, but is an ongoing expense.

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

What plants are you trying to grow? Many do not actually need it, making it just an added expense.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't dose a liquid substitute or inject CO2 in my low and medium light tanks, and I get great growth.

8. Cat Catherine Member Member

A melon sword, two other types of sword and some type of other plant I got recently but can't remember the name (I kept the info card it came with but I'm not home atm)

In another post I made someone said it looked like my swords had a c02 deficiency, so I was curious.

I've been using Seachem flourish in the tablets and liquid, but it only helped to an extent.

The growth isn't bad, but the overall health is what I'm worried about.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of light do you have?

And what makes you concerned about the plants' overall health?

10. Cat Catherine Member Member

I have Fluval Eco bright LED.

The leaves on the melon and swords are sort of pale to the point where you can see through them.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

And how long do you leave the light on?

You could try dosing Excel to see if that helps?

12. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I don't know about the melon plant, but the swords shouldn't need it. How many root tabs do you have near the swords? Mine us a lot of nutrients (I think I have about 2 tabs near each sword).

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

14. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Useful pic. Definitely saving that one :)

15. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Cat, CO2 units can be expensive. What is your budget? I bought a unit from GLA and am very happy with it.

16. Skyy2112 Member Member

How would one go about dosing for Manganese / maybe Iron?

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You can dose iron separately, but Manganese is in Flourish Trace and other trace mineral fertilizers.

18. Cat Catherine Member Member

I leave them on for about 10 hours, give or take a few depending on my day.

I'll pick some up today to see if that helps.

How much per month do you think it would be?

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I might try Excel first, and then decide if injecting CO2 is worth it.

20. Beretta Initiate Member

If you buy a CO2 regulator and the accessories to go with it, you can do it anywhere from around $150 to $300. For a 29 gallon tank I would buy a 10 pound CO2 bottle and then you would have to refill about once a year. The cost of a refill is around $20.