Beginner Betta Tank!!

1. amanda2000 Initiate Member

I want to get a betta tank preferably a 2.5 gallon tank since it will only be the 1 male betta. Can Y'all tell me everything I need to have and know for getting this betta tank? Ways I can decorate the tank to make him happy etc. What I also wanted to know was since I have to keep a balanced diet for the betta what should i feed it daily? Thank you! :)

2. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Bumping this up ans giving some advice.
    1) read up on the Nitrogen cycle and cycling your tank. It is vital you understand the process.
    2)Buy neccessary products
    - tank
    - Dechlorinater (Preferably Seachem Prime)
    - substrate and d├ęcor
    -Filter
    - Heater (10-15 watts)
    - bacteria supplement(TSS or Seachem Stability)
    -Gravel Vacuum
    - light
    -high quality fish food like omega one betta pellets etc
    And this is your basic setup.
    3) set up your tank and leave it to run for a few days to settle.
    4) go back to the store and choose your betta.
    5) shake bottle of TSS or stability and add to tank following instructions.
    6) add betta to tank (remember to dechlorinate tank water!)
    7) set up a routine for water changes. Preferably 25-50% weekly or biweekly.
    - always remember to add dechlorinater to fresh water for water changes!
    8) sit back and enjoy your fish tank!
    If you have any other further questions, be sure to come and ask for help on here rather than your local pet store!
    ~Mudkipz

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I would add to the food part, Bloodworms, to feed to him as a treat.

Decorations, be sure to check the decorations for rough spots, bettas LOVE to rub themselves on everything. A generic rule is to rub silk against something and if it catches on it then you shouldn't get it, but, you can probably easily tell with your finger what's good and what isn't.
    What theme do you want? Castles and houses, plants, nature?
    My tank is a nature themed one.
    [​IMG]
    This is my favorite theme and I'm hoping to have my plants grow wild and have a very lush aquarium. That said, a natural environment is replicatable using fake plants if you don't feel like dealing with real ones, or don't have the time/money. All my plants are live. Those caves are great decorations, nice and lightweight, good looking, and the texture is rough but not catchy. I like this because vines could probably grow on it but the fish isn't gonna rip it's fin at all. Those are "Cichlid Stones" by Under Water Galleries. I got them on Amazon. The piece of wood in there is a piece of Mopani driftwood, and doesn't cost much, $8 or something. It's by the company Zoo Med I think, also bought it on amazon but have seen it in petco. One thing about driftwood, boil it first to get out all the tannins and gunk inside. It might still leach some into the water but it won't be as bad. As far as decor like castles, and other random stuff, just rub your fingers on it and feel for rough spots. And don't wash them with soap but do rinse them with hot water before putting them in the tank.

EDIT: By the way, this is a 10 gallon, just for perspective.

4. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Also don't buy colored stones like pink, green ect. some leak unsafe chemicals into the water. Buy stones that are naturally colored. To be safe only buy fake plants that say they're for bettas.

5. amanda2000 Initiate Member

I got my betta fish all setup and he is lovely! I love my theme thank you for all your help I have a picture if you want to see it. :) His name is Leonardo or Leo for short! I also bought a moss ball if you can see him in the back! Leo.jpg

6. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

7. amanda2000 Initiate Member

I got my betta fish all setup and he is lovely! I love my theme thank you for all your help I have a picture if you want to see it. :) His name is Leonardo or Leo for short! I also bought a moss ball if you can see him in the back!View attachment 197875