55 Gallon Tank Beginner at fish aquariums.

Marykl76

Hello I'm new to fish and aquariums! I'm having a terrible algea problem( brown and green). I have an oscar, and a little catfish, and a little pacosimus. My boyfriend keeps putting left over fishing minnows n there for the Oscar to eat. I feel like that's why I'm having the algea problem. Am I right?

AggressiveAquatics

Welcome to fishlore! I can see you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle. That’s very important and you should read about it otherwise the water in your tank is very toxic to your fish. The minnows wouldn’t be causing any algae growth. But what size tank is this? Oscars need 75 gallon tanks minimum and a common pleco needs atleast a 100.

gms38

Hi there, welcome to Fishlore and the beautiful world of fish!
There will be others here with more knowledge but I want to share my algae experiences.
I had a tank given to me with an old flourescent light. I read that once old bulbs can contribute to algae growth. And sunlight also causes algae growth. What kind of light do you have?
Also something about a sand in your tank can cause it. I dont recall why atm.
Also if you have high nitrates in your water, caused by leftover food, fish waste and excessive feeding, it can cause too much algae. I haven't kept an Oscar so I do not know how much they eat. But over feedong your fish can contribute to algae growth.
I use a magic eraser with no soap or cleaner of any kind on my tanks. It removes the algae easily.
Also regular water changes with a good water conditioner will lower your aquarium nitrates. Feel free to ask questions.

DejaVu22

Is the Oscar eating all of the minnows? Also, how often do you clean the tank? Oscars are very messy fish and as stated by AgressiveAquatics the tank is a little small for it if it is a 55g. The minnows are most likely not causing the algae. Welcome to the fish keeping world! It would also help if you read about the nitrogen cycle. Fish lore provides helpful articles!

Annabanana728

Hello! Welcome! As mentioned above, please learn about the aquarium nitrogen cycle. Click here to get to an article on it...after you've learned about that you will need to get a test kit in order to test your water, their relatively inexpensive and will help you out a lot. Good luck, dont hesitate to ask questions, were here for you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
  • Thehoodguy8
  • Algae
Replies
Views
AggressiveAquatics
Replies
Views