Beginner Aquarium Plants

1. J

Joshman New Member Member

Does anyone have any good beginner aquarium plants? I’m looking for something that is going to grow tall, easy to maintain and stimulates grown by being clipped. I am also looking for some kind of Moss to use. I just planted Red Melon Sword today, now I planted it without fully separating it. How do I get it to spread along the full back of my aquarium? I’m trying to grow a natural place for my angels to hide.

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

Java moss is the easiest moss to grow. As far as tall plants, most swords can work.

3. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

I would suggest vals. They pretty much spread by themselves!

As for propagating your sword, they will spread by runners in which you plant them where you want them to grow.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Also what do you mean by vals? I’m also looking for moss and stuff that grows tall thin and flows easy through the current. Reason being I would like to hide tubing and cords and also give fish a more natural environment.

I have Red Melon Sword and Amazon Sword that I just planted next to each other hopefully the leaves will mice and I will get a red and green back. Also what does java moss look like and I have two rocks decorations that I bought from the store. How to I keep the Java moss around the decorations so it starts to attach and grow along the decorations so it gives it a naturals look but it’s something they can still hide in.

5. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

As far as tall plants go, I recommend jungle vallisneria (commonly referred to as val) and anacharis.

Easiest moss to grow is java moss.

6. aussieJJDude

For me java moss looks like a ball of disappointment. I prefer the other moss species as they tend to not grow as unruly as java. Christmas moss for example is rather low tech, and my fissidens moss at one stage was basically no tech.....

7. OP
    OP
    J

Now my question for you is I have two decorations that are rocks used for hiding spots for rams and other cichlids. How do I attach the moss to the two decorations so the moss stays attached and ends up growing and cascading down the two decorations.

8. aussieJJDude

Best bet would be to use a moss that grows downwards, like weeping or even xmas moss... other than that, attach mosses on the side so they grow up ans over!

9. OP
    OP
    J

Do you need to feed the plants or do they feed off of the fish’s poop? Also where can I get the plant trimming scissors for aquariums?

10. aussieJJDude

You can feed them, but many have had success with compounds in the water and fish waste.

Plant trimming scissors can be found online or in speciality aquarium stores.

11. OP
    OP
    J

Now I just trimmed two stems off of my Amazon Sword. Can I just let them float and let the fish eat the rest? Or should I take it out?

12. aussieJJDude

Id take it out, otherwise it will just rot and increase organics in the tank - aka good algae food!