Beginner Aquarist with 5 gallon ghost shrimp tank?

majesticc
hi, I'm new to freshwater aquariums but I have done lots of research about them. I know that it's recommended for beginners to start with 10gal tanks and 'beginners fish' but I prefer not to. I would like to know if a ghost shrimp tank with possibly one fish is good with a 5 gallon tank. I haven't set anything up or bought anything because I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'd also have low maintenance plants in the tanks. Could someone please help me get things in order so I'm not killing innocent lives because of a newly found hobby. {ATTENTION: from reading many other post and getting answers from many of you, I have decided to go with a 10 gallon tank}

Alpha the betta
If you are very lucky, you might get a betta to go with the shrimp if there are plenty of hiding spaces.

Do you know how to cycle the tank

AntsRule
Actually an 30-40g Is recommended for beginners, its easier to control water parameter changes. I would recommend either just a betta or or just shrimp if you want a 5g.

GouramiGummy
hi, I'm new to freshwater aquariums but I have done lots of research about them. I know that it's recommended for beginners to start with 10gal tanks and 'beginners fish' but I prefer not to. I would like to know if a ghost shrimp tank with possibly one fish is good with a 5 gallon tank. I haven't set anything up or bought anything because I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'd also have low maintenance plants in the tanks. Could someone please help me get things in order so I'm not killing innocent lives because of a newly found hobby.
For sure! I would say that's a fine size to have, although Ive heard that smaller tanks are often tougher to keep because the water quality can change very easily. Ive never owned shrimp, so I'm not sure what's recommended for them, but I'm sure you would do fine with a friendly betta (some betta's will tear your shrimps to bits!) or maybe a couple fancy guppies. As long as your tank is filtered, lit properly and heated though you should do perfectly fine with what you have in mind, just remember to cycle the tank first!

majesticc
Do you know how to cycle the tank
Yes. I've read on it but have not done it

Alpha the betta
Ok good. Guppies, rosy loaches, snails, or a micro rasbora could work

majesticc
Anubias, the little moss balls, and java fern are pretty easy going plants. Anacharis is one of my favorites.
thank you so much

Jenoli42
Yes. I've read on it but have not done it

there are great fishless cycle threads on this forum that will help... sing out if you get stuck

Ok good. Guppies, rosy loaches, snails, or a micro rasbora could work

If you can source chilI Rasbora they are stunning also celestial pearl Danios

majesticc
there are great fishless cycle threads on this forum that will help... sing out if you get stuck
thank you so much love!!! Very appreciated

Jenoli42
thank you so much love!!! Very appreciated

no worries! paying the advice I got on here forward I've now cycled 3 tanks successfully after epic fails involving mass involuntary fishslaugher events.... now our fish are happy & healthy.

I would have cut and paste the links for you but my phone is being annoying atm

JoeCamaro
Go big if you can. Believe me, you'll wish you did

Jenoli42
no worries! paying the advice I got on here forward I've now cycled 3 tanks successfully after epic fails involving mass involuntary fishslaugher events.... now our fish are happy & healthy.

I would have cut and paste the links for you but my phone is being annoying atm

ha! Got one of the links to work... this is one FL method. There are others

Fast Fishless Cycle.

majesticc
If you can source chilI Rasbora they are stunning also celestial pearl Danios
Is there any special care for them?
Go big if you can. Believe me, you'll wish you did
Thank you. I was thinking about going bigger after reading many different posts. I figured 5 gallon would be good it they're a lot smaller than I thought they were.

shutterbug13
Welcome to Fishlore!
It might be a bit harder to start with a five gallon but I think it's definitely doable, especially if you already know about the nitrogen cycle and you stock your tank appropriately. Here is the stocking list for all the fish that can go in a five gallon: Stocking List For 5 Gallon Nano Aquariums

JoeCamaro

Thank you. I was thinking about going bigger after reading many different posts. I figured 5 gallon would be good it they're a lot smaller than I thought they were.

I mean, if you can only start with a 5 gallon, then by all means. It may be a little more work, but it is doable.
If you are in the USA, then check craigslist, there are some incredible finds there. I check everyday. Sometimes people even give them out for free.

Jenoli42

celestial pearl Danios (galaxy Rasbora) are much more lovely than this photo (Google s, check it out, trust me). here's a balanced article

The Celestial Pearl Danio: A Cautionary Tale | Details | Articles |

chilI Rasbora here:

Frozen One
I have had ghost shrimp in the same tank as my Betta and they did fine together. The Betta may occasionally nip at the shrimp but in my experience only if the shrimp jumps in front of him/her in a manner the Betta perceives as threatening

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
gregoranddexter1816
Replies
Views
Lorekeeper
  • Question
Replies
Views
Rhyu
Top Bottom