Beginner and first time treating for Ick

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by fatbottomfish, Dec 15, 2012.

1. f

fatbottomfish New Member Member

I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank, I just applied "Jungle Ick Clear Fizz tabs" now I noticed my fish are less active now then before? And also it said to remove the filter also while treating the tank, when can I replace it? Do I replace the water and when and how much? Please help as I am a beginner.

2. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

What it should say is remove the carbon from the filter, not the actual filter itself. Does your filter have those filter cartridges? If so some have carbon in them you can slit the bottom or the cartridge and remove the carbon and replace the filter cartridge. Keep your filter going.
    How long ago did you remove the filter?
    Most people on this site recommend the heat treatment for ich. Others will respond more as I haven't used that method. I do know that with the heat treatment you vac the substrate (gravel) every other day to get the ich spores.
    Good luck.

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    f

fatbottomfish New Member Member

The filter cartridge has been out about 8hrs now, but I kept the filter running without it, so I should just remove the carbon and place the filter back in correct?

Also why would my fish be less active now then they were before putting treatment in tank?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  5. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

YES, immediately place the filter back in the tank and remove the carbon filter only. Hope your filter is still damp, if it dries out all of your Beneficial Bacteria will die. Is your tank cycled?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice