Beginner-algae question

Yodi

Reaction score
I saw a photo of an aquarium that was just taken over with green algae! I'm a beginner and don't have my fish In the tank yet. How do you control the algae? Do you need special chemicals or something like that? I don't want a green tank!

Yodi

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't need to worry if you don't get it! More common is Brown algae that can be easily washed off, or eaten by a sucker fish.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yodi said:
I saw a photo of an aquarium that was just taken over with green algae! I'm a beginner and don't have my fish In the tank yet. How do you control the algae? Do you need special chemicals or something like that? I don't want a green tank!

Yodi
If you get algae, you can control it with algae-eating fish like otos. Plecos can work as well, but most are for large tanks (55 gallon+) & put out a lot of waste (dwarf plecos can work in tanks smaller than 55 gallon). Apple or Mystery snails (big waste producers) can work as well, depending on tank size & what kind of fish you have. Ghost shrimp can be used too if you have no fish that would eat them.

You can also clean algae off the glass with cleaning magnets from the pet store or can go the chemical route. I think the best way is otos. They're small fish and can fit into most tanks.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Prevention can go a long ways too. Be careful not to place your tank in a location that receives a lot of direct sunlight. Don't leave the tank light on for more than a few hours at a time. Be careful about not overfeeding. These types of steps can help prevent algae outbreaks to begin with.

Yodi

Reaction score
Great! Thanks everyone, I'm definately keeping notes. My tank Is so Incredibly clean and pretty I'm almost afraid to put fish In It. :O)

Yodi

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom