Beginner - 40gal Long - What Kind Of Filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Galaxyfish, Apr 12, 2018.

1. G

Galaxyfish New Member Member

I currently have a 10 gallon, running with an old Tetra Whisper hang on back for 10 gallon (PF10?) It has been running well for about 5 months. But, my husband just bought me a 40 gallon long. I'm excited to build it out, but I don't know where to start as far as filtration.
    Should I be looking at hang on back filters? Yikes, I just don't know where to begin. I'd love some advice!

(I plan on live plants and a peaceful community tbd.)

2. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

Personally I think, if you are familiar with the HOB then START your new tank using an HOB. Something along the lines of the AC 110 would be good IF you have enough room on the tank to hang it. If not ... maybe a couple of smaller ones like the AC 70. And I'm not recommending a model because there are lots of good HOB's out there so go with what looks acceptable to you. The AquaClear's are simple and do a great job and once I started using them, I just never felt the need to get anything else.

Later on you can go the canister route.

One of my tanks is a 36-gallon and it has two AC 70's, one Cascade 1000 canister and THREE sponge filters (the extra sponges are only there if I have to set up a quarantine tank). The tank has only 9 cory catfish but soon will have 18-20 once the fry grow out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice