begginer stocking help

1. woolley90 Member Member

hi im nick and a beginer ive done freshwater for couple years and now wanting to do saltwater looking to start in january,ive got a 40 gallon tank and would be great if you could give me some ideas for stocking it, ive been looking around i have seen a couple of fish id like and would like to have your opinion on them and if they would suit my tank. a flame anglefish, clownfish, fairy basslet, yellow tang, rabbitfish, copperhead butterfly fish, racoon butterfly fish. any ideas on what i could stock would be great

2. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

First off, do you know what the aquarium nitrogen cycle is? If not, you should read up on it in the FishLore articles. I am not a salty stocking expert but this will bump up your post so someone with more experience in salty can help.

3. woolley90 Member Member

ye ive done some reaserch on it.
    cheers m8

4. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FL!

The flame angel, fairy basslet, and clownfish are all fine for a 40 gallon. Keep in mind that the angel may nip coral. The rabbitfish, tang, and butterfly fishes all belong in a larger tank so skip those. Have you looked at fairy wrasses at all? They are colorful and active and would do well in a 40 gallon. :)

5. sgould Well Known Member Member

I agree with harpua on that...the rabbit, tank, and butterflies are just not suited to a tank of that size. In addition, the copperband can be difficult to keep alive as it can be challenging to get them to eat.

Are you planning on corals down the road, or just fish?

6. woolley90 Member Member

jus looked at the fairy wrasses nice fish would you be able to get couple of them or jus 1 or 2. wat would be the largest fish i would be able to keep in my tank

jus guna do a FOWLR tank doubt ill do corals to be honest

:animal0068:Hello. Since there wasn't a response between your posts I've merged them. There is an "Edit" key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts.
    Thanks!
    Ken

7. sgould Well Known Member Member

Good enough...was just curious because that affects which fish you put in the tank. Angels, for instance, have been known to pick at corals. But no corals = not a problem!

8. woolley90 Member Member

wat would be the largest fish i would be able to get for my tank

9. reefdude Member Member

Probably nothing bigger than 4" (adult),

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The flame angel should be your largest fish IMO.

Unless you can get a trio (1M/2F) of fairy wrasses, I'd say just keep one.

11. woolley90 Member Member

how many fish would i be able to put into the tank

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

depends on the fish you choose.

13. woolley90 Member Member

would you reccomend gettin a bigger tank or is 40 gallons oryt

14. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Depends on whatever you wanna do.
    (Sorry for the really short-sighted answer)

15. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Get the biggest tank you can afford and are willing to maintain. The larger the tank, the more options you have for stocking.

16. woolley90 Member Member

ye because i like the tangs n the bigger variety of fish which by the sounds of it wouldnt go in my tank

17. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

A 75 gallon tank would allow you to keep one tang.

18. woolley90 Member Member

bloody **** they need a big tank lol was thinking maybe a 55 gallon

19. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Some people say 55 gallons minimum, but IMO it is best to go with at least a 75 gallon. All tangs are very active swimmers and need a lot of space. A tang that doesn't have enough space ends up stressed and becomes a magnet for ich.

20. woolley90 Member Member

wont yellow tangs be ok in a 55 gallon tank