Begginer Question For Soil

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Meganrae8148, Apr 19, 2019.

?

You think buying garden soil from home depo rather then traveling to buy expensive aquarium soil

1. Aquarium soil is the only thing I can use n I'll have to spend the extra n make the trip

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Some high quality store bought soil will be fine and help live plants thrive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Meganrae8148Valued MemberMember

Okay so I want to try my first live planted aquarium I'm 17 the nearest pet store near me Is 50 minutes away and that petsmart the others are further I do have a home depo near me that sells water lilly's and mini water lillys n a few other water dwelling plants could I buy a mini lily plant and some regular garden soil are there any good recommended soils I can get or can u not use garden soil I seen some soil for 10 dollars 10 pounds packed full of nutrients it say would something like this work

2. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

You need to use organic soil, which since they discontinued Miracle grow organic planting soil it is getting tough to find a good one. The others seem to be more mulch than dirt, the bedding soil is nothing but mulch so avoid that. I tried the organic soil that HomeDepot sells and it wasn't very good but since I didn't feel like going to the Tractor supply store across town I am using it on the tank I just set up. I expect I will have to change it out sooner than with good soil, but it still works.

For the plants, order them online since your getting a large number of them. Shop around to different places to find a good deal, the plants I get from Planted Aquarium Central were cheap and great plants. For the most part, most of the plant vendors I have dealt with were really good, buceplant is another I bought recently that was great.

3. Meganrae8148Valued MemberMember

At my home depot they actually had a miracle grow all purpose soil for 5$ is that the same or no

4. CrispiiValued MemberMember

Oooo Are you trying to do the Walstad method?

5. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

No that contains chemical fertilizer and moisture control additives, both of which you want to avoid.

6. Meganrae8148Valued MemberMember

Kind of I dont want any added fertilizer co2 but I do want to save myself a hour trip to find expensive aquarium soil if theres a soil that I can use at my local home depo

7. CrispiiValued MemberMember

Here are some plants that will do well without ferts/co2:
    -Anubias (Can be attached to wood, rock, or other decoration)
    -Java Fern (Can be attached to wood, rock, or other decoration)
    -Java Moss (Can be attached to wood, rock, or other decoration)
    -Water Wisteria (Can be planted or floated)
    -Water Sprite (Can be planted or floated)
    -Floating Plants (Duckweed, Frogbit, Salvinia, Hornwort, etc.)

8. Meganrae8148Valued MemberMember

Omg your awesome so basically with these plants I dont have to alter my established 5 gal tank with gravel rocks I can just add these in and theyll thrive!? That's pretty cool can u link me the best place to order these from nearest petstore almost a hour away ugh

9. CrispiiValued MemberMember

Yeah, but if you want to plant rhizome plants (anubias and java fern), just make sure you don't bury the rhizome or else the plants will die. Be sure to bury the roots. :)

And plus, these plants don't require any special soil or substrate! ;)

You can get these plants at any lfs (if they have that plant) or you can order some online.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019