Before I Potentially Make A Mistake... (changing Filters)

jaynesplotch

Hello! Lots of maybe-relevant background: I have a 20 gallon that I did a fishless cycle in. I used a large seeded sponge filter from my LFS to kickstart the cycle. About a week and a half ago I moved my 4 guppies, 1 betta, and 4 shrimp over from their uncycled 10 gallon, and a day later I added 2 more shrimp and 2 nerite snails. Two days ago (Tuesday) my fish store finally had corydoras in stock, so I added 6 false juliis and didn't feed them that day per advice from this forum. I fed lightly once yesterday and am not feeding today. My tests yesterday and today have been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. (I think my plants are sucking up all the nitrates, as I haven't been good about remembering to put in ferts).

All this time I've been running both the sponge filter and the TopFin HOB filter that came with the tank as a kit, but I hate the HOB. It's better than nothing for clearing particles out of the tank but it really doesn't do much. So I bought an AquaClear 30 online and it came yesterday. I'm excited to try it and I'd really like to swap it in for the old HOB today, but here's my question (finally): would it be bad to change the HOB filter two days after adding a big batch of new fish, or should I be okay since the sponge won't change?

jamesw6810

Can you get the media into the new filter?

If your cycled then removing some of that with a filter will likely send into a minI cycle, with that high stock level you’ll need to be careful

If you can move the sponges or bio media over it may be ok

OP
jaynesplotch

jaynesplotch

jamesw6810 said:
Can you get the media into the new filter?

If your cycled then removing some of that with a filter will likely send into a minI cycle, with that high stock level you’ll need to be careful

If you can move the sponges or bio media over it may be ok
It doesn't have much in the way of sponges or media, since it's this style:
But I should be able to cut the little pads out and shove them into the new one, just to preserve anything that's there. Sound good enough?

jamesw6810

Yeah it’s Better than throwing them away, may help to seed the new media

Just keep an eye on the parameters and expect frequent water chances if ammonia spikes..

Seachem prime will help until the biofilter catches up with the new load.

Or I would be tempted to leave it as it is for a week so the load can adjust in the old filter before you move it over..

OP
jaynesplotch

jaynesplotch

jamesw6810 said:
Yeah it’s Better than throwing them away, may help to seed the new media

Just keep an eye on the parameters and expect frequent water chances if ammonia spikes..

Seachem prime will help until the biofilter catches up with the new load.

Or I would be tempted to leave it as it is for a week so the load can adjust in the old filter before you move it over..
Okay, I may just go ahead and swap it out, but I'll be sure to move the old padding and watch the water closely. Thank you!

Wrenne

I've seen some people run an old filter and a new one at the same time. Can't remember where though. You tube? Super great place for amazing wonderful fantastic advice.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
There is nothing wrong with the Top Fin filters in my experience, though I do not use the included cartridges. An assortment of other types of media fit perfectly into the reservoir.

Why not just run the Top Fin and the Aquaclear side by side?

Cut out the white felt material from the cartridge and insert a replacement sponge foam block that is sold for the AC30. 3-packs are usually $3-$5.

After you insert the sponge, place the felt material to the side of it.

There are a ton more examples in this thread in the forum's filtration section (LINK).

OP
jaynesplotch

jaynesplotch

Wrenne said:
I've seen some people run an old filter and a new one at the same time. Can't remember where though. You tube? Super great place for amazing wonderful fantastic advice.
I've definitely been watching some videos on YouTube I don't think both HOBs would fit unless I left the tank uncovered though.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
jaynesplotch , is it a 20 gallon Top Fin Starter Kit from PetSmart?

If so, that was our first aquarium.

If so, there is a knock-out plastic piece that goes around the filter. It pops out effectively doubling the width available for placing 2 filters side by side.

I used to run 2x Aquaclear 30's that way in the 20g.

OP
jaynesplotch

jaynesplotch

Islandvic said:

There is nothing wrong with the Top Fin filters in my experience, though I do not use the included cartridges. An assortment of other types of media fit perfectly into the reservoir.

Why not just run the Top Fin and the Aquaclear side by side?

Cut out the white felt material from the cartridge and insert a replacement sponge foam block that is sold for the AC30. 3-packs are usually $3-$5.

After you insert the sponge, place the felt material to the side of it.

There are a ton more examples in this thread in the forum's filtration section (LINK).
Contrary to my last reply, I just tried it and I can move the cover forward a bit without leaving the whole thing open, so I may do that.

And that's an awesome link, I'll be sure to read through that! Thanks!

Islandvic said:
jaynesplotch , is it a 20 gallon Top Fin Starter Kit from PetSmart?

If so, that was our first aquarium.
Yup it sure is I thought my 10 gal was leaking so I ran out to get whatever I could find and figured why not upgrade? (It wasn't actually leaking, but now I have a 20 gallon, so whatever haha)

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Leave the cover in place. There is a knock-out section held by a tab on each side, allowing it to be removed and reassembled if need be.

That will give you extra room, without having to move the lid forward.

OP
jaynesplotch

jaynesplotch

Islandvic said:
Leave the cover in place. There is a knock-out section held by a tab on each side, allowing it to be removed and reassembled if need be.

That will give you extra room, without having to move the lid forward.
Oh wow, I remember kind of wondering what that was but never took the time to inspect it. Side-by-side it is then. Thanks!

Mongo75

Well Known
FWIW, I'm replacing my bio-wheel HOB with a bottom flow HOB, and am running the two side-by-side.
20190906_092758.jpg
I was using polyfill instead of cartridges in the old HOB, and moved that to the new one. Then I added 2 filter cartridges to the old filter. It's been just over 2 weeks now. At one month, I'll cut the pad off of one of the cartridges and add it to the new filter, tossing the carbon and frame. In another two weeks, I'll do the same with the 2nd cartridge. In another 2 weeks, I'll just remove the old HOB (and bio-wheel), keeping an eye on my water parameters after each change, just to make sure everything is going smoothly.

OP
jaynesplotch

jaynesplotch

Mongo75 said:
FWIW, I'm replacing my bio-wheel HOB with a bottom flow HOB, and am running the two side-by-side.
20190906_092758.jpg
I was using polyfill instead of cartridges in the old HOB, and moved that to the new one. Then I added 2 filter cartridges to the old filter. It's been just over 2 weeks now. At one month, I'll cut the pad off of one of the cartridges and add it to the new filter, tossing the carbon and frame. In another two weeks, I'll do the same with the 2nd cartridge. In another 2 weeks, I'll just remove the old HOB (and bio-wheel), keeping an eye on my water parameters after each change, just to make sure everything is going smoothly.
That's intense! Better safe than sorry though I suppose

New Threads