Before and after on my 75 gallon

Charlyc

I been debating on a new look for one of my 75 gallon tanks. The only issue I have now the substrate is so fine that it will be a pain to vacuum. Almost feel like top it of with black gravel. Well I will see how it goes next cleanning. Now maybe some more fish. Thanks to 86 ssinit I have some nice tall plants.

Before

Old Look.jpg

After

New Look.jpg

coralbandit

Looks very nice.

Charlyc

Both tanks have improved I did not have plants they were hardscaped.

20220813_181925.jpg

dcutl002

I really like the black substrate.

Charlyc

coralbandit
I been thinking what to add to newly planted 75 G that has 4 GBR'S, 3 large ABN's 5 large neon's and 4 mystery snails. I was looking at Electric Blue Acaras but after some research I found that is something you discourage. Any recommendations, if I move some of the fish I might get away with it but that means starting another tank. I just want a South American tank(I am south American after all).

coralbandit

I would do any Apisto before the EBA.
I still have my EBA in my 180g but not with rams.They are too tough IMO.
I know Apistos are not the best choice but they run even so competition is even.
A huge school of tetras like Huckleberry77 just did would be best IMO.

StarGirl

Wow those look great so far! I really like your hanging star lights :D

Charlyc

I know Apistos are not the best choice but they run even so competition is even.
I was thinking EBA since they get a nice size and they say that they are peaceful. I only was thinking 2 in the 75 G plus some tank mates. The Apistos look nice but small and would need a school. The rams are kinda aggressive special if there aren't enough females to males and when the start spawning the devil get's inside of them. Ok more research I will pay a visit to The House of Tropicals here in MD and see what they have. They actually have 750 tanks in their store that includes Marine.
Wow those look great so far! I really like your hanging star lights :D
It takes a Stargirl to find the starlights good eye.

Huckleberry77

I am loving the school of 30 green neons. They are super active and school really nicely! They are constantly doing laps around the tank in a big group. They are not easy to feed though. Seems like Dr. Basseler Baby Nano food is the best option for now. They are alone in the 33 for now. Once they are settled I will add some hatchets or Pencilfish, the female ram, and the male ram last.

Charlyc

Anybody breeding Apistos from the forum?

MacZ

Anybody breeding Apistos from the forum?
Not breeding myself, but if you need info or input, we have several people on board here.
The Apistos look nice but small and would need a school.
Erm... no? There are some you can keep in a group, but in a tank like your's their behaviour and the layout would limit the number of individuals drastically.
Depending on the species, groups from 3 (most bigger species like A. macmasteri or aggressive species like A. ortegai) to 7 (small and docile species like A. borellii) are average.

I would probably only keep one male of a species that looks absolutely the least like a Mikrogeophagus. Also many get bigger than Rams.
What temperature are you running?

In terms of aggression level in general among dwarf cichlids, I would put Ivanacara and Pelvicachromis in first place, followed on 2 by the average Apistogramma, then on 3 Nannacara, 4 Mikrogeophagus, 5 Dicrossus, 6 Crenicara, 7 Cleithracara. And for all of them basically interspecies aggression is rare, except if the species look similar and have to compete for something.

coralbandit

Mac is right they don't match up perfect but they, most can handle heat.
They may or may not clash with rams.
yukondog was one I know did things right.

Charlyc

Mac is right they don't match up perfect but they, most can handle heat.
They may or may not clash with rams.
yukondog was one I know did things right.
I have been keeping my ram tank at 82 F. I think Apistogramma's can handle that temperature. There is a nice pair of Cacatuoides Triple Red on aquabid they are juvenal so they would go in a qt tank for quite a wile. I think I might go back to the House of Tropicals I think they had some large ones for about $30 each might be worth it.

MacZ

There is a nice pair of Cacatuoides Triple Red on aquabid they are juvenal
The likelyhood you really get a pair this way is far below 50%.
Also, no offence, domestic A. cacatuoides are just as overbred as fish-farm rams. Fish that drop dead just when you look at them funny.
To be honest I suggest avoiding A. cacatuoides, A. agassizii and A. macmasteri.

Charlyc

I also would like to keep some of my PBR's in that 75 gallon tank how may can I get away with and should they be paired up. Would the GBR's and PBR's get along and how about some Bolivian Rams?

MacZ

Need far cooler water.
I would not try to mix dwarf cichlids like this. A single Apisto in a tank of rams, my... should work out, but don't try to mix species at any cost.

This might sound strange from me, but... what is a PBR? I can't think of what the P might stand for. I can only deduct it's a domestic strain of Blue Ram. So... same species, different visuals.

Charlyc

Need far cooler water.
I would not try to mix dwarf cichlids like this. A single Apisto in a tank of rams, my... should work out, but don't try to mix species at any cost.

This might sound strange from me, but... what is a PBR? I can't think of what the P might stand for. I can only deduct it's a domestic strain of Blue Ram. So... same species, different visuals.
Pitch Black Rams coralbandit line I am breeding them.

MacZ

Pitch Black Rams coralbandit line I am breeding them.
As I said then. Same species. They can and will mix. If you want that...
(Sorry to you both, I find colour morphs of any cichlid that can't change colour anymore to communicate are disabled.)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Koenig44
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mhamilton0911
  • Question