Been three weeks cycling with no nitrite increase

xlinker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there I recently got a new tank and currently doing a fishless cycle. It has been now three weeks and nitrite are still aren't appearing. I know it could take time but I was wondering if maybe my water parameters may be affecting it? I am currently using controsoil which buffer the ph down to 6.5. I dose ammonia once I see that it drop below 1ppm.
A: 2ppm
Nitr: 0ppm
Nitra: 0ppm
GH: 6
KH: 0
Temperature : 83f

OP
X

xlinker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donthemon said:
What is the ph without buffering?
I am using ro/di water that was remineralize with saltyshrimp gh+ so ph for ro water is 7. Tap water ph is 7.8

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Nothing wrong with 7.8. I have heard low ph slows the cycle, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I do know trying to lower or raise ph is usually not worth the effort.

OP
X

xlinker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donthemon said:
Nothing wrong with 7.8. I have heard low ph slows the cycle, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in. I do know trying to lower or raise ph is usually not worth the effort.
Oh I guess it would take longer. I am planning on keep caridina shrimp, that why I have a lower ph.

Utar

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I am thinking your temperature could be hampering the beneficial bacteria growth. 83° is a bit high for establishing a quick nitrogen cycle. These bacteria need oxygen, and the higher the temp the lower the oxygen. Not saying you can't get it cycled with temps that high, just saying it takes longer then lower temp. See of you can lower it to around 75°

OP
X

xlinker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Utar said:
I am thinking your temperature could be hampering the beneficial bacteria growth. 83° is a bit high for establishing a quick nitrogen cycle. These bacteria need oxygen, and the higher the temp the lower the oxygen. Not saying you can't get it cycled with temps that high, just saying it takes longer then lower temp. See of you can lower it to around 75°
I will try that thank you!

KeresKim

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most tropical fish need water right in the 75-80 range. Once you get it I to that range, your cycling should pick up the pace slightly! I hope this helps

New Threads