Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Been Soaking It In A Spare 29g For A Month And It's Still Growing Brown Fuzz

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by JaneGael, Feb 18, 2019.

1. JaneGaelValued MemberMember

I bought a piece of spiderwood too big to boil. I wanted to re-do my 29g so I put it in there to soak. It is refusing to behave. In spite of weekly 100% water changes and hard scrubbing it is still growing some kind of algae (I think.) It turned the water brown the first week. The second it started flaking pieces off and was slimy. The third week it was slimy and had some of the fluffy gunk on it. Today it's really got a coat that's about 1/4" long in places. I don't dare use it until I can get it clean but I don't know what to do. Is there something that I can put in the water. I am running a 20g filter with a sponge in it since the second week but that doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Link to pic on Imgur:  

2. ValerieAdamsFishlore VIPMember

3. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

Apparently that stuff is in no way dangerous. I've always read that, but I agree with you; I'm just not putting that into my aquarium.

If I have a piece of wood that produces that stuff...and I usually don't because the wood I use is so old it's completely dead, dry and grey...I just leave it submerged in a tub out back and forget about it. Once it sinks, stops smelling and generally behaves itself, I will use it...but it might take months or years!

Your watched-pot method would drive me nuts. Time heals all wounds...and also cures all woods...:)

4. JaneGaelValued MemberMember

Your watched-pot method would drive me nuts. Time heals all wounds...and also cures all woods...:)[/QUOTE]

LOL It's driving me nuts too because I wanna build this tank! I have the plants and fish sitting in a 20L that I also want to build up again. I keep wanting to poke it. Is it done yet?