20 Gallon Tank Been An Eventful 2 Days Here

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Had some storms on Friday, tornado warnings included. I'm assuming my water plant treated the water or something got in it, but I'm new to fish so it didn't occur to me to think of checking my tap water Saturday morning.
Checked all my levels, noticed an elevated ammonia level in the cycled tank (only .25), Fridays are water change day but with the storms ongoing it got delayed so Saturday was by default water change day anyways so no big deal, I'd drop the .25 down with my weekly 50% wc.
An hour or 2 after the water change my giant ramshorn snail George starts acting odd. Normally he does rounds around the tank, pauses at the top for some air, then continues on his way. Well he was staying at the top, face and antennae tucked into his shell. Not typical George. So being the concerned parent I am,I checked my water levels. They're at .5. I'm completely boggled before I think to check my tap.
Sure enough it's at 1ppm ammonia.
Cue getting about 12 gallons of bottled water from my local grocery store and using those to change the water. Refilled the bottles from my fridge filter (which was ammonia free but too cold for the tank) and setting them in the hallway to warm up for today).
Well the mishaps continue today bc somehow my heater for that tank came unplugged. I double check everything after a water change to make sure its plugged in so idk when it happened. Went to feed them and see their temp us at about 73-74 when they normally stay at a 78. Luckily they can all survive colder temps but still wasn't enjoying yet another mishap xD
Doing another water change with clean water to clear out the remaining .25 ammonia from yesterday (I dosed everything with prime) after Easter festivities.
I'm also dealing with cloudy water from what I'm assuming is a bacterial bloom from my cycle after a small minI cycle. Had very high nitrates that research said might be from a dirty filter. I rinsed the sponges in tank water from a water change, replaced the carbon filter (which I hadn't done in like... 2 months bc I forgot..) and then added more filter media I'd just bought to give more space for BB.

Gonna buy a green killing machine next month just to have, but hopefully this cloudiness clears before then lol.

Overall I hope this tank settles the heck down xD

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh dear you have been having a rough time, hope things settle down soon

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Coradee said:
Oh dear you have been having a rough time, hope things settle down soon
Fingers crossed! I've had to change my water twice today because it kept spiking up to .5. I have no idea what's going on, but my poor snails are hating it. I even did 2x the dose of prime this morning and they're still unhappy. Seems a bit happier after the second water change with 6gal of filtered water from the store

RyeBreadNBudda

Reaction score
Zai said:
Will that help with the ammonia?
You noted that George is hanging around the top a lot which can be an initial sign of death. Considering what your tank has gone through, all the water changes, all the prime etc there could just be a deficiency in vital minerals. Snails require calcium for shell growth and sometimes the shells start to crack and can't hold air. Once this happens the snail has to hover at the top of the tank to breath. They might do this for a week before dying.. . SO.. if you don't normally add calcium try that.

There could have been sufficient levels of calcium prior that have just been physically removed via water changes or chemically removed via prime. Those levels might return to normal (sufficient for your snail) over time since its a ecosystem, but I would add calcium regardless for snails as it is the vital element that helps them build and maintain their shell.

I think you should be all set on the ammonia thing since your doing water changes.

If you don't clean your gravel/substrate that can keep your ammonia levels elevated in my opinion because you're not mechanically removing any detritus and the filtration can't keep up with it. This could cause your snail to stay at the top of the tank and avoid the substrate too but I have a stronger feeling its the calcium thing

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RyeBreadNBudda said:
You noted that George is hanging around the top a lot which can be an initial sign of death. Considering what your tank has gone through, all the water changes, all the prime etc there could just be a deficiency in vital minerals. Snails require calcium for shell growth and sometimes the shells start to crack and can't hold air. Once this happens the snail has to hover at the top of the tank to breath. They might do this for a week before dying.. . SO.. if you don't normally add calcium try that.

There could have been sufficient levels of calcium prior that have just been physically removed via water changes or chemically removed via prime. Those levels might return to normal (sufficient for your snail) over time since its a ecosystem, but I would add calcium regardless for snails as it is the vital element that helps them build and maintain their shell.

I think you should be all set on the ammonia thing since your doing water changes.

If you don't clean your gravel/substrate that can keep your ammonia levels elevated in my opinion because you're not mechanically removing any detritus and the filtration can't keep up with it. This could cause your snail to stay at the top of the tank and avoid the substrate too but I have a stronger feeling its the calcium thing
Alright, I'll do that. I was planning on getting some cuttlebone for him anyhow so I'll just get it earlier than intended

RyeBreadNBudda

Reaction score
RyeBreadNBudda said:

Detritus
Zai said:
Alright, I'll do that. I was planning on getting some cuttlebone for him anyhow so I'll just get it earlier than intended
Sometimes if you feed your snails frozen peas they will grab hold of it floating at the top and then drag it
Zai said:
I would recommend a liquid calcium at the moment since it takes time for the cuttlebone to breakdown into the water but the cuttlebone is the long term solution

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RyeBreadNBudda said:
Detritus

Sometimes if you feed your snails frozen peas they will grab hold of it floating at the top and then drag it

I would recommend a liquid calcium at the moment since it takes time for the cuttlebone to breakdown into the water but the cuttlebone is the long term solution
Okay I'll get both then

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RyeBreadNBudda said:
Detritus

Got the apI marine calcium,only stuff I could find and a lot on fishlore seem to say it's okay to use if freshwater.
Added it and now to wait and hope it helps my poor george
20190423_113216.jpg

OP
Zai

Zai

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
RyeBreadNBudda said:
it absolutely is ok for freshwater, its just marketed towards salt water tanks. Best of luck dude
Thank you

New Threads