Beef Heart?

1. Anita Vidgen Member Member

I have Angels and a rather large BGK, will they both eat beef heart and do you hand feed it or put a skewer through it and put it on the bottom? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

While I do not use beefheart myself (or rather my fish don't), many discus keepers include it in their homemade recipes, which always seem to include gelatin to keep the food from disintegrating in the water.
    If you were to google something like 'home prepared discus food', I am quite sure that you would get many hits.
    I should mention that while I avoid feeding beefheart as I have heard of some claims that fish have difficulty digesting red meat, but, to be fair, I have also read of many who swear by it.
    I would include fish vitamins and some veg in the diet.
    I believe that small pieces are broken off from a frozen block (for want of a better term, think of peanut brittle:) ), further broken to size, and then simply dropped in the tank.----rick

3. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

My fish do not get beef heart because when I was researching it there were too many admonishes against its use as fish food for my kind of fish. If you search FishLore you will find several discussions with cons and pros. Good luck and Bon appetite to your fish.

4. Anita Vidgen Member Member

Hi, thanks for your advice, appreciate it. I will do some more research and see what I come up with. I'm thinking, that they wouldn't be eating red meat in the wild, just saw a few posts with people feeding their fish the BH. I will also search the forum. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. virusmk Well Known Member Member

I use beef heart for my discuses on a dayly bases. Do not buy it raw but frozen.
    I do tawn 2 qubes in aquarium water for a 10 min. And its good to go in the tank. My dis uses love it.
    Best thing about it that is very rich on a protein a d yes it could be a bit hard to digest for some tipe of fish but i am sure angels wont be having dificulties with it.

One prone as of my point of view is that its polutes the water morw than any other fish food. But as long as you dont overfeed you wont be having much of an issues

6. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

In case you missed it, there is a sticky on homemade fish food and at least one recipe uses beef heart.

If you search for fish food on FishLore you will find lots of discussions and advice. Herein hides the problem: In my opinion, advice given by posters who have been at it for a long time and speak from personal experience is much more valuable, than the advice that coming from people like moi, who have recently embraced the hobby and are reading indiscernibly everything they can lay their eyes on :)

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/47984-homemade-fish-food-recipes.html

7. skar Member Member

I've had good experience with beef heart thus far. Fish in the wild would eat whatever they find anyhow. Adf , loach, cats and cichlids seem to enjoy it :) . different fish but i don't catch what is seen bad about it ? ?

8. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Few fish in the wild eat "whatever they find".

The main con with beef heart is that mammalian flesh contains saturated fats, which fish simply cannot digest. These fats congregate in and around the liver and kidneys, gradually reducing their efficiency. Beef heart gives fish two things - excellent growth rates (though not as good as earthworms or cockles ime) and a shortened life.

I have a 16" bgk. It eats prawns, cockles, krill and earthworms, and all the small stuff like bloodworm, brine shrimp etc. They should really be fed in the dark, but if you don't keep them with cichlids (or anything else that will bother them) they will soon learn to come out and eat in the light.