Becoming Planted!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by CarrieFisher, Apr 20, 2017.

1. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

So, the beginner that I am, I was under the impression that I needed some special and magical kind of substrate to have a planted tank.
    I thought that having BDS made it impossible to have live plants in my aquarium.

However, a Fishlore heroine (@Lchi87) happened upon one of my posts and informed me otherwise, thus giving me hope that I can create a more natural seeming habitat!!

I already created a "moss wall" at the beginning of my aquarium adventure that I'm trying to grow out, and I had one really big Marimo Moss ball.

I added three more nice sized moss balls a few weeks back and (thanks to lchi87h) I bought a little Anubias, to sort of become an experiment.

She was also kind enough to send me some amazing Frogbit (bc it's been impossible for me to find here), and she threw in a couple of beautiful Amazon Swords, too!

Everything shipped beautifully, and I put them all in right away!

The Swords need to gain a little height before I can move them to the background, but in the meantime, I think I found some good homes for them.

The Frogbit, I have corralled in the shelter of the fake bamboo plant so my hob doesn't blow 'em all over.

It's all trial and error, but I'm so excited to get started and to *be able to* get started!!
    It's a work in progress!!

Big thank you, again, to Lchi87!
    I'm so grateful!!

27540464ea46b3c847e771e175c539ab.jpg
    ^Both Swords are near the jar.

324ea31337d2b49a95a18c407577f44d.jpg
    ^tried to take a pic from below of the frogbit

3f56b77132cc24168a95841d54669f91.jpg
    ^the plec has been hanging out on the jar since the swords went in

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. meyowmeowValued MemberMember

looking great!! very pretty setup :)

3. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

Love how everything looks in your tank!! Glad the pleco seems to be enjoying the swords, he's very handsome. :) Good luck with the new plants and I hope they flourish for you!!

4. AvyNew MemberMember

That's awesome! And I swear, of all my tanks, the goldfish tank with kiddy colored gravel is doing the best. Plenty of plant growth and a good balance of algae for my snails. No ferts, no special lights lol. Just funky goldfish.

5. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Looks fantastic. I'm willing to bet you'll never go back to fake plants again.

6. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

The gold fish don't eat your plants up? Sorry to side track the thread but I'm curious .

7. Heather LValued MemberMember

This is a gorgeous tank! Do you like the Frog Bit? I've been thinking about trying to find some. Do the roots hang down, would it be a nice cover for Hatchet Fish?

8. mmp4Valued MemberMember

Looks great!

9. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

That's def the plan!! Lol
    If these plants do well, given my choice in fin kids and my lighting, i want to go alllllll real plants EXCEPT for that fake bamboo, I'm just really partial to how it looks in my tank, and the fish really seem to appreciate the maze of nooks and hidey-holes that it creates for them.
    At "lights out", they all choose a spot within it to "hover" for the night.
    Thank you so much!
    I really am happy with how it has turned out so far, too! Its in my living room, so i wanted to make sure i didn't junk it up and make it all tacky.
    As for the frogbit, so far, i really love the look of it! It really helps create a canopy effect within the tank, which is what i hoped for.
    The roots do hang down, but not too much atm. I'm wondering if the roots will get more significant, that would be pretty cool!
    I'm unfamiliar with the habits of hatchet fish, but i imagine it would make nice cover for any fish that appreciates more indirect lighting (bc it blocks out some of the lighting from the hood), which some of the species i chose to stock might appreciate.

I just gotta say, I'm loving this new interest and hobby!
    I'm enjoying it so much!!

10. Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

The frogbit roots can grow longer but not always...it depends on the level of current in your tank and whether or not you have nippy fish. My own personal frogbit only grows lonngggg tangly roots in one tank that has VERY low current and fish that completely ignore the frogbit. The rest of my tank has thriving frogbit but the roots don't get very long because the fish like to nibble on the roots :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice