Because Nobody Ever Does Anything Normal In My House Lol-crickets

sassymomma
My son just bought 30 crickets. Now we need to build them a home. I understand they have about a 60% mortality rate when kept as pets, then the survivors thrive

We’ll see lol
IMG_2165.JPG

CanadianFishFan
cool I just lost one I nmy house...

Mary765
It's ok we used to have stick insects which was courtesy of me!

ScorpionGuy
I am trying to breed some for my arachnids. Hopefully going to start a dubia colony soon. If you have any adults prepare for loud chirping EVERY night. It doesn't look like you have any adults though.

sassymomma
I think we have one adult female- she has wings? We added a second enclosure and connected it with a tube to the first. One got out, and Midnight chatted with it while he hunted it lol. He is feral born and hunted grasshopper as a kitten in the back yard so he loved it lol

maggie thecat
I keep a bin of crickets for my frogs. Feed them cat food or chicken food, leafy greens, and water in the form of gel crystals (you can buy it at the pet store or rehydrate your own, Miracle Grow sells it for plants.)

Crickets can stink up the place, if kept enmass. Vermiculite as bedding is really useful to minimize the odor. Also, a cat litter scoop is a good tool to have handy.

tunafax
Good luck to the 40%!
I can't get mine to live for longer than 2 days.

goldface
I used to keep them when I had reptiles. They STINK! I used to feed them flake food to gut load them.

maggie thecat
Oh. Oranges. They love oranges. The meat, not the skins. It's another way to keep them hydrated, too.

sassymomma
Oh, hey thanks for chiming in

I’ll let my son know

We bought cricket food and hydration crystals for them, and upgraded the habitat to include a 3 gallon tote, which they prefer to the jar. I haven’t idea how many survived, he tends them?

maggie thecat
Oh, hey thanks for chiming in

I’ll let my son know

We bought cricket food and hydration crystals for them, and upgraded the habitat to include a 3 gallon tote, which they prefer to the jar. I haven’t idea how many survived, he tends them?

If he keeps them warm, they may multiply. They did accidentally when I put a pair in with my pacman frog. They liked his heat stone, apparently . Tiny. Tiny things.

Fanatic
My son just bought 30 crickets. Now we need to build them a home. I understand they have about a 60% mortality rate when kept as pets, then the survivors thrive

We’ll see lolView attachment 419796

Keeping crickets in my house just usually means that we bought more food for the Leopard Gecko.

wodesorel
They'll need moist substrate to reproduce, if you want babies!

Fanatic
I used to keep them when I had reptiles. They STINK! I used to feed them flake food to gut load them.

Why do they stink so much? I was just blown away by the smells the crickets release.

maggie thecat
Why do they stink so much? I was just blown away by the smells the crickets release.

No idea. But keeping them on vermiculite and chucking out the dirty cardboard and any corpses, once or twice a week, makes a world of difference. I keep mine under my desk and there is no smell.

goldface
Yeah, it’s awful. I don’t know why, though. It’s why I always preferred raising mealworms. No smell at all.

Mbross325
There’s actually another species of cricket you can buy, the ones I see above are the nasty ones petsmart and petco sells. I don’t know what the name of the crickets I have but I got them at pet supplies plus and they don’t eat each other, their smell isn’t as bad and they last longer. I kid you not, I bought 5 dozen a month ago and I still have like 20, I use a large cricket keeper with those black tubes, green cricket bite cubes, and sea sponges in shallow bowls as water source. I feed these crickets to a juvenile tarantula and an adult female leopard gecko that went off food two weeks ago. I can take pictures tomorrow, not exactly sure what the name of the green cricket bite cubes are

sassymomma
I’d like that. I’ll probably buy him more crickets, once I get him a legitimate cricket keeper so that I can monitor them too

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cdw202x
Replies
Views
ruby_cichlid
Replies
Views
Angela_96
Replies
Views