Beautiful Silver Aruana

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've seen a very fascinating and beautiful fish today at a nearest pet shop. The shopkeeper told me that it is a silver aruana. this fish is very rare in my city. i have never seen anything like this !!!! the fish was about two feet long!! it was costly too Tk. 50,000 (US$ 700)!!! i think it should be kept in public aquariums. the shopkeeper alsotold me that they live in South America.

FishFyer

Valued Member
Reaction score
Arrowanas are one of favourite fish unfortunatley i hvae not enough room for one..they need at least a 180 for when hey get to there biggest size. Where im at in Canada baby arrowanas range from 40-100 dollars and there is many variations in color and they can get HUGE. Like the one at my work was over 4 feet long. ANyways the one at a store was called a super red and was priced at $30,000 and another one that my work was like 6 inches long but was already worth $6,000 and if it wouldnt have died and got bigger it would have been worth $25,000...anyways if you have a big enough tank you should really think about getting one. Also they can jump really high and hard...the one at my work jumped out of a weighted down lid tank and died on the floor (so sad cuz it was 8 years old) lol i have rambled on now sry bout that i just love them and if i had i big enough tank i would by one in a second.

bmRboY

Valued Member
Reaction score
Silver Arowannas are actually the cheapest here in Manila. A juvenile measuring 3 inches will set you back $10. The super reds are petty expensive... They originally come from South America but a lot of breeders have been successful at producing high quality arrowanas in Malaysia and Singapore... The other ones to look for are the Ghost, Black, Malaysian Gold, Australian Gold.... They are pretty hardy fish... I have kept a couple over the past years... Very graceful... They like to eat LIVE food.... my last one can eat 30 cockroaches in one feeding.... feeding it one at a time though....

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
bmRboY said:
Silver Arowannas are actually the cheapest here in Manila. A juvenile measuring 3 inches will set you back $10. The super reds are petty expensive... They originally come from South America but a lot of breeders have been successful at producing high quality arrowanas in Malaysia and Singapore... The other ones to look for are the Ghost, Black, Malaysian Gold, Australian Gold.... They are pretty hardy fish... I have kept a couple over the past years... Very graceful... They like to eat LIVE food.... my last one can eat 30 cockroaches in one feeding.... feeding it one at a time though....
Wow, if you live in the Philipines, I'll bet you can even get tropical fishes from the wild!!! Seriously, your native tropical fish must be sooo much cheaper than for us.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
JoRdAn said:
ANyways the one at a store was called a super red and was priced at $30,000 and another one that my work was like 6 inches long but was already worth $6,000 and if it wouldnt have died and got bigger it would have been worth $25,000...
Say what? $25,000!!! You're kidding, right?

JoRdAn said:
Also they can jump really high and hard...the one at my work jumped out of a weighted down lid tank and died on the floor (so sad cuz it was 8 years old) lol i have rambled on now sry bout that i just love them and if i had i big enough tank i would by one in a second.
That sounds like strong fish alright. Poor thing.

bmRboY

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow, if you live in the Philipines, I'll bet you can even get tropical fishes from the wild!!! Seriously, your native tropical fish must be sooo much cheaper than for us.
That's right. Actually the tropical fishes are mostly imported from Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore and other South east asian countries. What we do have is a lot of Salt water fish. it's crazy here. Just got into Saltwater setup and you can get just about anything really... From almost every kind of clown to lion fish to eels and even sharks!!! They have black tip shark pups for $40... but arrowanas are still pretty expensive especially the super reds... they even come with microchips imbedded in their bodies so that you can check if it's truly a class AAA.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Wow, interesting. Thanks for that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom