Beautiful Angels spawned

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
It's been a while since I've actually raised baby angels, but I think I can see their dorsal and pelvic fins budding at 3 weeks. 2 months and they will for sure look like mini angels.

I do the daily water changes for at least 2 weeks. Then I move to 3x a week. I would at least use a baster to clean up excess foods.

I just think 12 gallon would be very hard to keep tank conditions up. They should forget about the babies once they go back into 75 gallon. No babies, no hormones.
Ok sounds good. Cleaning up excess food is extremely hard it being a sand substrate. I would have moved the parents earlier but I was thinking that the fry might be more comfortable and grow faster with them around but ur right they make more mess that needs to be cleaned. So I will remove them later wen I get home.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mickiemas said:
Ok sounds good. Cleaning up excess food is extremely hard it being a sand substrate. I would have moved the parents earlier but I was thinking that the fry might be more comfortable and grow faster with them around but ur right they make more mess that needs to be cleaned. So I will remove them later wen I get home.
Yeah honestly, I had a pair in a 46 gallon bow that kept spawning every 12 days. I had multiple ages of babies in the tank with them. I just couldn't keep the tank clean and eventually had to stop them from spawning so often and dismantle the tank. I was seeing algae and even cyanobacteria. I tried so hard, but the organics just built up. It was a gravel tank though and I couldn't siphon because the babies were everywhere. Much easier to keep babies in a tiny nursery. Bare-bottom is better obviously, but I'd still try to clean up the extra food.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
Yeah honestly, I had a pair in a 46 gallon bow that kept spawning every 12 days. I had multiple ages of babies in the tank with them. I just couldn't keep the tank clean and eventually had to stop them from spawning so often and dismantle the tank. I was seeing algae and even cyanobacteria. I tried so hard, but the organics just built up. It was a gravel tank though and I couldn't siphon because the babies were everywhere. Much easier to keep babies in a tiny nursery. Bare-bottom is better obviously, but I'd still try to clean up the extra food.
Yea I'm realising bare bottom tanks are way way better. From now on I'm only doing bare bottom tanks for breeding. I have my angels 7 months in the 75 gallon and they would never spawn and within less than a week in this tank and only 3 water changes they spawned.

Just went home 9n my lunch break and found my first guppy gave birth 20 fry. I'm literally out of space. I had to move them to a bucket

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
8 weeks should be pre-dime to dime in size depending on how well they have been fed and cared for.
With my babies I was trying to feed them at least three times a day, starting with bbs (baby brine shrimp) that was hatched 12-18hrs from placing the brine shrimp eggs into the premixed water. I switched over to decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, then flake. Still have one of those babies in my care (lost the breeding pair, female killed the male then pined herself to death..<.<), a pretty little blue smokey ghost.
Mine were nickel sized over the first spawn at 8 weeks old, they grew very fast (ended up with 8 good babies out of 20 pulled fry). They were also in a heavily planted tank, so if they missed a feeding from me, they had microfauna to eat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom