Beat Up Or Sick? Help

1. Boujii Initiate Member

I separated my Oscar a few months ago in order to bring in some smaller fish.
    Three weeks ago I re-introduced it into the 240 gallon when I brought home some other big fish.
    Immediately my new 14 inch Rio Jaltpec Zonatus went after it. It didn't look like he was biting the Oscar, but clearly did not like it and was bumping it with it's head. This happened for about a day and then it stopped.

When I put the Oscar in the tank I could see on it's side some skin color loss. It almost looked like scarring. Today when I eyeballed him, I could see it's skin on it's side was missing completely. I mean it looked pretty bad. If you look to the right, that's how it looked originally when I put him in.
    He is still swimming around OK and eating.

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1507336875.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

2. mbkemp Member Member

Bad deal right there. I would get him out of there or you might watch him die.

3. Adriifu Member Member

You should really think about healing that. Melafix is good, but go easy on the dose.

4. Lionfish97 Initiate Member

Isolate him and start getting to work on healing that, that’s really bad. Poor guy. Melafix is a good bet

5. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Hopefully you have isolated him. The best thing for this guy is going to be pristine water. Daily 50% water changes until he is healed. Which is going to take some time.

The other thing I Would do is methylene blue baths. Or even just dabbing the wound with methylene blue will work too. He is such a big fish, you may find that easier to handle. Just use a cotton swab or cotton ball and dab the wound with methylene blue. It is an antiseptic and will help prevent infections. I would reapply once per day. This is going to be a daily long term treatment for this guy

You want to really watch for infection. You will probably end up using antibiotics at some point. But I think trying to prevent the infection is worth the work.

Your fish is way beyond what Melafix can do. Melafix is a homeopathic oil. It isn’t going to prevent infection, or grow new healthy tissue. I personally don’t use it.

6. Boujii Initiate Member

I have isolated him last night. I put him in a hospital tank. It has good filtering and UV. Of course I can't find my methylene blue. I ordered 4 bottles.
    I don't know if it's a disease or something else. He was in a tank by himself before putting him back into population. I am not sure if he scrapped it on something and just got worse.

7. Boujii Initiate Member

Discussing the Rio Jaltpec Zonatus

Water was cloudy which is not normal. I discarded the Pleco. When I get home from work I'll do a 25% water change. However it was only last Tuesday that it was done. Like I mentioned before, I think the Oscar came over into the big tank with something. I thought it was an injury not a disease. Now I am not so sure what is going on and growing concerned for the welfare of my other fish.
    I am worried about some disease/parasite going on in there. It may be the Zonatus is reeking havoc in there. But usually a 15 inch Pleco don't mess around with being heckled by anything. I did see him go after the Oscar the first couple days I put the Oscar in.

I am thinking that the Oscar may be been sick or injured when I put him back into population and the Zonatus also beat him up. Perhaps even just nudging the Oscar with it's head on an already damaged side just made it 10 times worse.

Waking up to the dead Pleco has me a bit concerned though. Well waking up to anything dead draws some level of concern. He may have been just too sick to begin with. He was in filth water and barely ever fed when I got them. I actually got 2 fish and 2 Pleco that day. The fish never made it through the night. But I figured after 3 weeks in quarantine tank with lite dose of methylene blue and UV it was OK to put the 2 Pleco into population. Maybe they brought something into the big tank.

I've taken the remaining live 9 inch Pleco out and put him into quarantine until I can get a grip on what is going on and what to do.

8. mbkemp Member Member

Clean water and good food is your friend. I would change water daily for a while.

Lots of protein for the Oscar. Good luck

9. Adriifu Member Member

Good luck. Looks more like an injury than a disease.