Question Beat Up Angel

shannon767

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just found that one of my angels has been hurt. The scales on one side of his body are damages and floating away from his body.

I’ve noticed him hanging out by himself, but this is the first time I’ve seen him injured.

Should I put him in a hospital tank until he heals? Can I put something in the tank to help with the healing?

Thanks for your help!

06a20b9109410c985d5af78c6e5be7e1.jpg

3f97b2004e8abf705b1b1432aeb815a7.jpg

19481d7460a11dcea019ee82b2221a79.jpg

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If I were you, I would put him in the hospital tank and do at least 50% water changes daily. It should naturally heal.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh the poor guy! That looks so painful!
Yes, put him in a hospital tank for sure, you can use something like stress coat to help him out. I'd watch closely for any infections too

OP
shannon767

shannon767

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks you guys! I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. I’ll move him now.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Tbh, you don't really need any meds. Just do your water changes and you should be good.

OP
shannon767

shannon767

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Upon closer inspection in the hospital tank, it looks like he might have been burned by the heater. I have two flat Cobalts in there. Do you see the brown edges? I feel so bad! Are you sure I shouldn’t use anything? Not even melafix or something else to aid the immune system and promote healing? It’s so deep! I can’t believe this happened.

2385a5d24ba4644fc430663edfdcc98c.jpg

41812351c692df7ba67c905201f04ec7.jpg

fish 321

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh that looks painful, it kind of does look like a burn.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
shannon767 said:
Upon closer inspection in the hospital tank, it looks like he might have been burned by the heater. I have two flat Cobalts in there. Do you see the brown edges? I feel so bad! Are you sure I shouldn’t use anything? Not even melafix or something else to aid the immune system and promote healing? It’s so deep! I can’t believe this happened.

2385a5d24ba4644fc430663edfdcc98c.jpg

41812351c692df7ba67c905201f04ec7.jpg
Water changes is your best friend. Just do a daily 50% water change and it should heal. I personally would not use any medications because it would do more harm than good especially if you don't know what you're treating for.

Attachments

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think it could be a burn too. I still think using stress coat will help a lot with the healing process.
I'm not sure what type of infection would be the most likely for such a large, and open wound like that. Using things like Melafix or Pimafix would be 50/50 for helping, but I'm not sure he could handle both at once right now either

OP
shannon767

shannon767

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feel absolutely horrible. I don’t have any stress coat, but I could pick some up tomorrow. I just read an article that said to add salt to reduce the osmotic pressure on the fish. The article said it would also help with preventing secondary infections. Any idea if this is a good idea?

I feel like I need to DO something. But I also understand that time is his best bet. I can leave him alone and do daily water changes. I just hate the idea that he’s suffering and want to help him heal quickly.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
shannon767 said:
I feel absolutely horrible. I don’t have any stress coat, but I could pick some up tomorrow. I just read an article that said to add salt to reduce the osmotic pressure on the fish. The article said it would also help with preventing secondary infections. Any idea if this is a good idea?

I feel like I need to DO something. But I also understand that time is his best bet. I can leave him alone and do daily water changes. I just hate the idea that he’s suffering and want to help him heal quickly.
Definitely get some tomorrow then, that and daily water changes will help a lot. In my opinion, using salt with a wound like that will just cause him more pain and thus, more stress. I'd hold off unless you absolutely have to

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately, quickly might not be possible. That's a horrible looking injury, and it's going to take time.

OP
shannon767

shannon767

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JLeeM said:
Unfortunately, quickly might not be possible. That's a horrible looking injury, and it's going to take time.
I know. It’s horrible. I’m moving the heater to a less occupied spot and hoping that this never happens again.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My only other suggestion would be to keep the tank at 84 so he doesn't end up with ich. Ich isn't too bad alone, but it makes it possible for much worse things to get in more easily

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
It takes time. Don't worry. As long as you do water changes you should be fine.

In fact, one of my angels is in my 10-gallon tank for the time being. I am currently treating him for ripped fins (which healed completely) and cloudy eye. His eye is doing much better, but still cloudy. I didn't use any meds or aquarium salt. Instead, I just did a daily 50% water change.

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm about to have to try to treat my little GBR for HITH in a 10 gallon hospital tank with daily water changes and better diet.

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That looks terrible. Poor angel. That’s a lot worse than ripped fin smh. Get some methylene blue, maybe even add it to his QT(it’ll stain the water blue) rather than do dips to prevent more stress.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JLeeM said:
I'm about to have to try to treat my little GBR for HITH in a 10 gallon hospital tank with daily water changes and better diet.
If you've diagnosed HITH, try adding an Epsom Salt/water solution to the dry pellet foods. 3/4 tsp dissolved ES in a 1/2 cup of water. Use a pipette to just moisten the pellets. Let soak in (can dry again). Feed to fish as usual for at least 3 days exclusively. It can be feed for longer, the fish will just release excess magnesium.

It's an alternative to treat HITH when not using Metro or going the natural route.

New Threads