Beardie Outside Time

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi guys. I took my beardie outside today for the first time this year He seemed to enjoy it!
Anyone else take theirs outside?
20190531_172852.jpg 20190531_173033.jpg

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice pics, is he on a leash of some sort to stop him running away?

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awww... great pics and totally cute beardie! I'm kinda dying for one of these guys if and when space allows. I'm curious about what keeps him close too. I know they are pretty laid back but... they can be quick, yes? Do you not worry about him running away, even by accident? In my busy and overpopulated area, I'd worry about outside influences scaring a pet into taking off.

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice pics, is he on a leash of some sort to stop him running away?
Awww... great pics and totally cute beardie! I'm kinda dying for one of these guys if and when space allows. I'm curious about what keeps him close too. I know they are pretty laid back but... they can be quick, yes? Do you not worry about him running away, even by accident? In my busy and overpopulated area, I'd worry about outside influences scaring a pet into taking off.
He is half paralyzed so he cant run away. He can crawl, but not very quickly. I usually just keep him on my leg when i take him outside

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've taken mine outside a few times this year already. I don't think his previous owner has taken him out cause he seems to get scared easily, but he enjoys the natural sunshine.

I have a leash and harness for him, but I'm not too worried about him running away because our yard is fenced in super well so foxes can't get to our chickens.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love him! May I asked how he was paralyzed? I’m glad you let him get out and enjoy nature.

Princethepurplebetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love him! May I asked how he was paralyzed? I’m glad you let him get out and enjoy nature.
His previous owner squeazed his hip area until it broke (she had him in a 10gallon with another male, she thought he was female and got mad when there wasnt any eggs).

The base of his tail and hips never healed right. He has to somewhat drag them to move around

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
His previous owner squeazed his hip area until it broke (she had him in a 10gallon with another male, she thought he was female and got mad when there wasnt any eggs).

The base of his tail and hips never healed right. He has to somewhat drag them to move around
Omg, what a horrible story!! So get mad and squeeze, eggs will appear! Classy, I wish mean karma on that “person.” Thanks for sharing, I’m glad he has a happy life with you!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I'm shocked with sadness and anger and disbelief that someone could be so extremely brain dead

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is awesome! He seems to love it! what a nice life he gets to live now, as he should! Shame on the person or persons responsible for his injury, that’s awful. He looks so comfortable with himself now though! Good on you :smug:

We take our blue tongues out sometimes and they seem to enjoy poking around in the grass. We keep our panther chameleon outside during the day too in his own caged in bush I bring him inside at night because I don’t trust all of the stray cats around, though his cage is tear and puncture resistant.

Reptiles tend to be spooked out the first few times you take them outside because the lighting looks much different to them. Even if you use UVB lighting indoors, you look way different outdoors to your reptile and sometimes that can be a bit of a shock to them. My boyfriend had a Colombian Tegu and it would run after him on his hind legs trying to attack whenever it was brought outdoors; but indoors it was totally fine.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is awesome! He seems to love it! what a nice life he gets to live now, as he should! Shame on the person or persons responsible for his injury, that’s awful. He looks so comfortable with himself now though! Good on you :smug:

We take our blue tongues out sometimes and they seem to enjoy poking around in the grass. We keep our panther chameleon outside during the day too in his own caged in bush I bring him inside at night because I don’t trust all of the stray cats around, though his cage is tear and puncture resistant.

Reptiles tend to be spooked out the first few times you take them outside because the lighting looks much different to them. Even if you use UVB lighting indoors, you look way different outdoors to your reptile and sometimes that can be a bit of a shock to them. My boyfriend had a Colombian Tegu and it would run after him on his hind legs trying to attack whenever it was brought outdoors; but indoors it was totally fine.
Oh, that makes so much sense!

Jnettie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just have to say thank you to those who rescue animals kept improperly or are abused in any way. 3 out of 4 of our lizards are rescues as is one of our dogs (our other 2 dogs are retired Guide Dogs who deserve to live a phenomenal life for their years of service).

My little beardie got his first day of last week too!! He wasn't nearly as frightened this year as he was last year and I was really glad he was on a harness.
He is in love with anything yellow and went running up to all the dandelions he spotted. He would get close to them and realize he couldn't reach them. But being the determined little dude he is he started trying to stand and get them. It was hilarious to watch.
I don't let him eat the dandelions until I wash them. I'm paranoid of what could be in the bugs that are in the dandelions.

But then he spotted the bok choy flowers and raced over to them. There was no stopping him from eating the few that were bent over. He was in heaven!!!

My son's blue tongue hates being outside and buries himself in whatever he can hide in the fastest!

Neither of our water dragons show much interest. They just sit still and act chill.

My son and I are trying to find a decent playpen for outside time but we can't figure out how to make the bottom of one of the wire ones escape proof because it still needs to be mobile for mowing the lawn. And we want them to be able to be in the grass so it can't have a bottom. Any ideas?

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Awe that’s so cool

I have four beardeds one the oldest I trust outside in my backyard which is fence.
The other 3 I take in sun but only on my shoulder.

My blue tongue I only recently started trying this with. He does surf around the house a lot but not outside in my backyard until weeks ago.

My Russian tortoise also is free to walk around my backyard areas.

All of whom I’m outside at the time with so none get swooped on by predators,

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom