Bearded Dragon pics.

King_Snuggles
Chesie, my bearded dragon next to a pennie for size refference. Me and dad build the tank from scratch as my birthday gift.

COBettaCouple
Very cool Looks like she's got a great home there!

jack11
A friend of mine has a bearded dragon which is about the same size, do they get much bigger?

Dino
Very nice looking dragon.
I used to own several, years ago.
I am looking forward to getting back into lizard keeping in the near future.

VERY nice cage setup!

King_Snuggles
A friend of mine has a bearded dragon which is about the same size, do they get much bigger?

She just shead, I dint think they get to much bigger maybe a few more inches. I did lizzards before fish, she is the best I let her out and she loves to walk around my room getting into everything. Now that she is bigger I don't have to worrie about loosing her. I'm really proud of her I have traned her to go to the bathroom in only one spot in her cage,so no accedents in my room.

Dino
Bearded's get about a foot long.

slakey
I have been very tempted by a bearded dragon and anoles.

but didn't have big enough tank at the time.

How fast do they grow?

Dino
Pretty quick.
They are omnivores.
They require both proteins and veggies in their diet.

King_Snuggles
I never cared for anoles,we have them wild all over. They are native here in south florida. I got my dragon about a year and a half ago. She started out the saze of a quarter, or the size of her head. I love them they are really a lowmantence pet and once they get set up they are very easy.

Dino
And remain handleable, which a lot of lizards, are not.

King_Snuggles
That depends I have never been biten on pauropose (I was hand feeding her some worms and right as she struck the worm moved and she got my hand, not her fault) The more you handle them the friendler they become. You can't expect them to trust you right off the bat. When I'm home I try to have her out at least twice a week.

COBettaCouple
Sounds good. I've been thinking of getting a small tortoise in the future and I think a lot of reptiles and such, like fish, don't get enough credit for their intelligence. She's a pretty smart one!
I'm really proud of her I have traned her to go to the bathroom in only one spot in her cage,so no accedents in my room.

LOL, I found it funny when we were living in St. Augustine how the local petco (the only option there) sold them even though you could just grab one off about any bush, etc.!
I never cared for anoles,we have them wild all over. They are native here in south florida.

King_Snuggles
LOL, I found it funny when we were living in St. Augustine how the local petco (the only option there) sold them even though you could just grab one off about any bush, etc.! [/QUOTE]

they do that here too. And they are expensive!!

COBettaCouple
LOL, yea, talk about profit.. open an Anoles shop.
they do that here too. And they are expensive!!

Cody
that's really nice looking..good job..on the homemade tank

slakey
hmm...
my 125 litre tank wouldn't be big enough for a BD would it?

*future referrence*

King_Snuggles
It would work for a while. They grow to their enviroment more than most species. My cage was build for 2 but I ended up getting a male and a female. She laid 13 eggs and I gave the male back to the pet store along with the eggs. They didnt give me anything. I say the babys going for 85 a piece. gerks. They do their growing in the first 2 years. 125 liters would be ok ONLY if you had the time to let her out everyday, to walk around. other wise I would say get a bigger cage, I had to. If your thinking about getting one all you need is calcI sand (its about the same price a aquriam gravel) and a special UV/heat lamp. The light was $70, and needs replacing every two years. besides that and the cage they are really inexpensive. I spend about $10 a month on food for her and that's it. I would recomed them to anyone. It your have any questions I'm willing to help (I like to)

ShaynaB
I say the babys going for 85 a piece.

$85 a piece for babies? They're between $25 and $50 here for baby beardies, depending on where you get them and their size. $85 seems like a lot! (I'm in LA) It's crazy how the price fluctuates in different parts of the country.

I love beardies! I don't have one, but my boyfriend does. (Which means I get to play with her and he gets to do the rest! I'm not terribly fond of crickets.) She's so personable, it's great.

King_Snuggles
They are usualy 50 but because they were newley hatched they were 85. I also think that because it was a local store and not a chain they could hikee the price up. 12 eggs 3 didn't make it that's $765 no fee for buying them from their usual sourse.

slakey
well I work from 9-2.30 except thursday 9-12.30 *driving lesson for 1hour at 1.20*

So yeah I could let it out basically everyday

Right here's a plan. *Future*

Buy a corner aquarium or terrarium. Put it at the end of my bed, same width hopfully *3ft 6ish?*
Screw some lighting in the ceiling.
And that should be ok right?
I would be looking for something along the lines of a Juwel Trigon 190, quite a nice size. But would you advise it? It's either one of them or try to find a fairly large box shaped aquarium... Have one built: 2'2 x 2'2 x 2' ? length x width x height <--- Would that be a good size?

sorry for going off-topic/ish.
Thanks for the information currently given.

King_Snuggles
They don't climb all that much and when they do they don't go very high, so you would not need a tall tank. I think a light from the celing is to high. I have my light hanging about 6 inches from the top of the hood.

This is the type of light and the only light I can find that is both UV and heat (dragons need both or they die, rather quickly) I think it is easer to have just one light tham two. The light tells you how strong it is and how far down into the cage the UV/heat goes.
I would say that Juwel Trigon 190 tank would be fine for one dragon. Like I said mine was build for two till they mated.
Lighting is the most inportant think for the dragons, that would be the only thing I would not try to cut cost on. I would go with the best.

slakey
sorry didn't make myself clear.
What I would do is put a hook in the ceiling tie some wire onto the light reflector and the thread it through the hook, and it would be low enough to take affect.

Also how would you suggest I do the lighting if I do get the Juwel Trigon 190?

King_Snuggles
that's a good one. Dragons need fresh air and a closed hood could be bad for them I have steel chicken wire coucked inbetween two pieces of alluminium sidind. I needed it strong (now the cat can walk around on top and it wouldnt break. I think I could stand on it and not have to worrie about the hood.). What I would do is cut. because the dragon would never be as high as the roof I would save the outside rI'm and make a mesh or steel one. If you are careful you could remove the top and replace it with screen, I think black would go unnoticed and would still look good.

If you do go that way be sure to get industrial screening ( they sell it at hardwear stores) Becaues then it will be metal screen with black rubber on it. a standerd pet screen is just rubber and would melt from the UV light.

slakey
ah my sister has a cat.

I'm sure I could make my own hood out of wood and fix some lighting system on there.

If not they've got this at seapets

^ now that works out cheaper then getting the Juwel Trigon 190, mainly because it has basically everything I need. *cept i'd maybe change the lights, and get sand instead of the bark, and a few more bits and bobs*

my LFS sells a trigon 190 for £240 just the tank! no cabinet. then I'll need to build a hood aswell as get a stand for it, get lights etc...

And there is a seapets in Ipswich, and I live in Norwich so it's like a 45min drive or so!!!

King_Snuggles
That does look like a better tank. Has the wright kind of light. DON'T use the heating pad. I have seen some very bad things happen with dragons on heating pads. Dragons SEE heat and have very poor nerves on their underside the heat pad doen not give off light so the dragon does not see the heat. They will lay on the pad and I have seen them get very burned from not realising that they are cooking their underside. For the light put it on only one side of the tank. (they need a cool spot) When you get sand get calcI sand, or something of the sort, when a dragon eats they stick out their toung that is sticky and they will eat some of the same with the bugs. They calcI sand is ment to be digested. Never use rocks. I have tryed two differend tryes of sand and the cheeper finer kind got everywhere. Under her scales she was misrable, I put her in the shower and changed the sand back to what I had been using before. I use

and would swear by it, very cool stuff. Now I have about 2-3 inches of sand and don't plan to replace it for at least another year. It really does last.

O one more thing I wouldn't put the light directly on top of the hood (melting again) and taking the top off is easer when you don't have to hold a light to.
I have broked the light before and the only thing I would say would be once the light is on leave it on. They take about 15 min to warm up all the way and turning it off say to move the cage and them turning it back on, after only about a min, shorted it out and I had to replace it.

slakey
Yeah I heard Calci-Sand was good.

I did once nearly got one, but didn't have the room really my mum nearly bought me one for my 2ft tank but I said no

Now I have space and I think the space I have is a good size tank for a fully grown BD.
Just hope the tank doesn't weigh too much.

Think there's 2 types of BDS going at my LRS *local reptile shope* for £25 and £35, different colourings, brown and red marked?

King_Snuggles
as long as they are both BD go with the one you like better.

slakey
I will have to have a look at the weekend if my mum or dad will take me
From what I can remember I liked the Red-Marked babies. They had them from 3-4inches upto adults

Will look if they have a tank for the space I have too.
Currently have £270, but get paid end of the month. But need to buy a new camera :/

King_Snuggles
My male started off with a red color to him. He was starting to loose it as he grew, but I had to take him back.
Its really hard to tell the sex when they are young.

slakey
are the males smaller then females?

jsalemi
are the males smaller then females?

And do the females run around saying that size doesn't really matter?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist... )

slakey
of course it does!

how can it no?

when I need to buy a tank I would like to try and fit a tank in the size I have, hense I need to know what size the male and female grow...

King_Snuggles
For me the male was smaller. I left my book at home so I don't know the exact size. I have seen other males that were bigger than the one I had at the same age. I don't think there is a difference in size, male and females. I do know that the females are more handable.

slakey
hmm ok...

I have 2 options.

Totally drain my 125litre tank and clean it up and some how put a reptile proof hood on there.

Or see if I could fit a reptile tank in a 4' x 1.5' space.

Would that tank be a good size for a fully grown male?
I'll be able to have him out some days aswell

King_Snuggles
I would say the 33 gal would be to small in a year or to but the reptile tank is the same size as mine. Mine is 4' by 1.5' by 1.9' or 85 gal, or 321.725 litre

I know mine is more than she "needs" acording to the books. If you have an option put them in a room where there is a lot of activity, my girl likes to watch my computer games, and my fish. She went apesh!t when I had my tank in my room. The mouth was going she was trying to eat the glass, throwing sand everywhere. She did calm down after a day though.

slakey
Right, the thought of having a BD has come back around to me.

And well I currently have £270 and get paid at end of the month.

Now the thing is, I have 3 options for a tank.

1. Drain my Juwel Rio 125, clean it and house a BD in there til I get a 4' x 2'
2. Move my tv to end of my bed and put a 3' 47" long x 1' 11" tank on my current tv unit. I may be able to stretch to a 4 x 2 but that'd mean 1" hanging over at the back, and on one of the sides.
3. Fit in a 4' x 1.5' tank next to my fish tank.

For the tv unit I could get this:
But it'd be over hanging a little bit at front,back and sides.

Which one should I go for?

Thanks

King_Snuggles
3 then 1 then 2

slakey
right I'm in a forum and they say that 1/2" over hang would be fine

I'd spread the over hang to the front, back, left side and right side of the unit.

Getting the enclosure tomorrow!

48" x 18" x 18" but will upgrade to 48 x 24 x 24 if needed

£195 for everything *except the BD*, and I get a week of free livefood, any liveffod I want.

Also King_snuggles did you say you use calci-sand as substrate?
If so take it out, as it causes impaction, you are better off with ceramic tiles or repti-carpet

King_Snuggles
I have heard of calcI sand causiong impaction, but I am unconcerned. I use a dish for feeding worms and veggies. The crickets she gets on the run.
195 pounds is about 300 dollers so that was about what I paid.

slakey
ok just so you know

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jamelie
Replies
Views
Pariah
  • Question
Replies
Views