Bearded Dragon Pest Bugs?

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all,

I have a bearded dragon and I noticed there are a bunch of tiny black jumping bugs in the tank. Are first I thought they were mites because they are so small, but then I saw they had wings and could fly, but choose to jump. They like to hang out in the food and water bowls.

We currently have a house fly infestation in our house and I thought maybe these were from them, but they're so small... and there's no variance in size

I was gone on a week long field trip and when I came back I discovered my pet sitter just piled more food on top of the previous day's food and never cleaned it out because "the bearded dragon will eat the crunchy bits left from yesterday" even tho I told them to clean out the old food so the house flies don't have a chance to get to it.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's definitely not the fungus gnats; and it *might* be the phorid flies, but they look like they're too big on Google...

The flies I have are about the size of a a pin-head

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If what Google is showing me is correct they can range from .5 millimeters up to 5-6 millimeters depending on the species so it seems there might be quite a range.

I do know (from experience) they are common in reptile tanks and they tend to do more jumping and running than flying around. The easiest way to get rid of them is just to remove all waste immediately (and any moss as well) and maybe not feed your bearded dragon for a few days. Basically anything damp or nutritious in the tank can provide a breeding/feeding ground.

Kysarkel000

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, well I've already removed the food and water and have the dishes soaking. I'll just keep his food and water limited for the next few days and see how it goes.

Thanks!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom