Bearded dragon newbie

1. dmccormick91 Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone so I got a beardie about a week ago and I absolutely love it. He is still trying to get use to his new home since I haven't really made it easy for him. I had him upstairs in an extra room but I didn't like that I couldn't see him so I moved him downstairs and now he sees the pups all of the time. I have a couple questions though.
    How do I make sure it is staying hydrated because I have yet to see it in the water.
    How can I get it to eat greens?
    At last how do I tell what kind he is? I bought him at petsmart as a normal but he looks different than all the others I have seen and a lady at petco that has a few told me that she was pretty sure he wasn't a normal but wasn't sure what it was.
    Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Oh a please excuse the messy house in the last picture, lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. jpm995 Well Known Member Member

I think they get most of their hydration from their food, i rarely see mine drink. I always rinse off his fruit and lettuce to make sure its wet. It's good to shower him once a week or so as i think they may absorb water through their skin. I put mine in the sink and use the spray button. He doesn't seem to like it but seems refreshed afterwards. I take him out in nice weather to get some real sunlight, but be careful every time i turn my back he takes off. Lost him for 3 days once, step son found him on side of the garage. Yours definitely has an odd color, but i don't know enough about them to assist you. Their very easy to care for, probably the best reptile pet. Good luck with yours.

3. dmccormick91 Well Known Member Member

Yea bought a tub to give it a bath in once I get over the fear of it drowning or something crazy. Till then I will continue to spray the tank down every couple days. I also will wait until it's a bit bigger before I take it outside as well. The little joker is fast and I doubt would find it if it took off. How did you get yours to eat fruits and vegetables?

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You may find that your beardie will have a big poop during his bath. It's perfectly normal though it startled me the first time I saw it!

5. dmccormick91 Well Known Member Member

Haha, I read that in a few places. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel about that one but I will have to get use to it lol

6. jpm995 Well Known Member Member

When their hungry they eat anything. They prefer crickets or other live food. It's true water [especially warm] helps them poop. They can swim, mine took off across an 18' pool and i had to run to the other side to catch him. You probably know they need uvb light as well as heat, and food needs to be dusted with vitamins and calcium, more so if they don't get outside sunlight [highly recommended].

7. katiemorrison94 Member Member

If they have the right kighting/heat they should eat normally. They like crickets, meal worms, and my aunts lizard loves butternut squash!