Bear Is Getting Back In The Hobby!!

Bearwithfish

Hello my Fishy People!!

I am soooo ready to get back into fish keeping. I have been in and out of the hobby for quite some time. I have done a few Freshwater and a couple of saltwater tanks as well. After my last saltwater tank, I decided to hold off on doing another for a while due to trying to sell my current house and a number of life things going on.

After accidentally coming across an old post or two of mine on another board I decided I would jump head first back into freshwater though.

My wife has had a nice 40b set up for a couple years with goldfish in it so I have some media soaking in her tank to get seeded while I plan out and get ready to build my display.

My plan is to keep things super simple and have some fun with guppies. Here is the outline of what I am working on -

on the top will be my Main display tank 20 long - black background LED lights ( I have this already)

Next two rows will house 2 5.5 gallon tanks each (total of 4 of these 5.5's), black backgrounds on each.

on the bottom will be storage for a sterilite hospital container, a sterilite quarantine (or 3) and any other incidental supplies.

Filtration will be provided by sponge filters off of a central air pump with the hoses suspended above to prevent any possible syphoning in the event of a power outage (check valves will likely be installed on the main line for the row as an added redundant measure).

Because I am not using a sump each tank will have its own heater also.

I am considering substrate at this moment. I am torn between bare bottom and crushed coral (for the added hardness to the water). There will be Lava rock in the tank for added biological filtration as I intend to slightly overpopulate in time.

And let's face it - with Guppies overpopulation will occur whether I intend to do it or not!!

Well, its good to be back and I will be stopping in from time to time to add to this and other posts. I will, of course, ask lots of questions, but I will be more than happy to share what I know as well.

Franco

Welcome to Fishlore!!!

Lacey D

Welcome back to Fishlore! Everything sounds great, and best of luck

Bearwithfish

Thank you Lacey D and Franco !! I am glad I found this community.

I used to be part of another board years ago and when I stopped in to check things out the place has changed a great deal. Most of those changes are not for the better, unfortunately.

After spending some considerable time here, however, I think I found the right place!!

Ok onto the usual beginner (to the forum not the hobby) questions.

I am unable to reply to a PM form Mike, I cannot for the life of me find a way to like, welcome, etc. (But I appreciate them from everyone ) so is there a single thread somewhere that explains all of these things and/or the minimum post counts for certain actions etc?

Coradee

HI & welcome to Fishlore
Members have to have a minimum 50 posts to access the private messaging system & some areas of the forum such as BST board.
To like, agree etc click on one of the little smileys under each post, there are various ones such as like, agree, thanks etc.
Some threads here you may like to read about how to use the forum How Do I

Bearwithfish

They just appeared. I guess I needed 3 posts LOL.

all set. thank you for the information on the 50 posts.

Bearwithfish

Wow I did not remember how much of an odd feeling it is to be the new guy LOL.

As stated I have been on board before (I even own a non-fish related one).

Its weird to be paying so much attention to my post count. hahahaa.

Wraithen

Wow I did not remember how much of an odd feeling it is to be the new guy LOL.

As stated I have been on board before (I even own a non-fish related one).

Its weird to be paying so much attention to my post count. hahahaa.
Welcome! If you want a more sand like substrate while still keeping the hardness up, you can also use aragonite, found in the marine section of fish stores. Just make sure it isn't advertised as having live media, or salt. I haven't seen any that do yet, but it's only a matter of time I'm sure.

Bearwithfish

I had read about aragonite last evening and was intending to ask about it.

Would this be more effective than crushed coral? It is certainly better to look at!!!

Wraithen

For the way you're using it, it won't be better, it would be equal. Keep in mind that either will only get you so far. Most people get a ph steady at 7.4 to 7.6. After that, it won't leech anymore in a freshwater tank. It is much prettier to look at though, unless you like the "I've got an mbu puffer that's been eating for years" kind of look.

Bearwithfish

No I like the look of the aragonite better and I just jumped over to the LFS site and found a good price on it also.

It has been too long since I have set up a rack of tanks like this so it is great to get these bits of advice as I plan things out.

If you have a moment feel free to weigh in on this thread also > Tank Division Planning.

Wraithen

No I like the look of the aragonite better and I just jumped over to the LFS site and found a good price on it also.

It has been too long since I have set up a rack of tanks like this so it is great to get these bits of advice as I plan things out.

If you have a moment feel free to weigh in on this thread also > Tank Division Planning.
The app isn't playing nicely but I would just set it up and run it and see what happens. I suspect the filter will pull hard enough to keep the temps even. If not, you can modify the filter with a bit of pvc pipe and drastically increase flow by making the bubbles have to go higher before they escape the tube.

Bearwithfish

Thanks for this!! As for the division concerns - I would not really be able to tear it down once set up. I mean I could, but what a pain in the backside.

I may set up the tank with just plain tap (not treated) and do some small "flow" tests to see what happens.

I just don't want to go through the hassle of silicone and then have to tear it out again.

Wraithen

Thanks for this!! As for the division concerns - I would not really be able to tear it down once set up. I mean I could, but what a pain in the backside.

I may set up the tank with just plain tap (not treated) and do some small "flow" tests to see what happens.

I just don't want to go through the hassle of silicone and then have to tear it out again.
That's why you use suction cups and fishing line of you don't have confidence

Bearwithfish

True true....

See this is what I love about communities like this.. always more information to consider...

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom