Beamswork Da Fspec Vs. Beamswork Da 6500k

candiedragon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm setting up a 20 long planted tank and after months of planning, it's come down to lights and plants. I'm hoping for a medium-high light environment, which is pretty easy to do with the short height of a 20 long. I've finally narrowed it down between two models of Beamswork and just want some inspiration from your opinion between the models.

DA FSPEC or the DA 6500K. They have similar PAR, and I've seen some reviews report well with medium-high light demanding plants with both. The only difference is the FSPEC has 12000K white LEDs and some reds and greens, while the 6500K has, well, 6500K LEDs lol. Anyone have experience with one or both models and how you liked it?

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Same here.

It's down to these two and the new Nicrew Planted Plus (which has a remote control and "24/7" capabilities). I've read for sure to go with the DA over EA.

yinoma2001

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually went with a Fluval Aquasky 2.0 (Bluetooth). It was on a ridiculous sale and I like not having a physical remote control, and Fluval's 3 year warranty (which says a lot about their confidence in their product). Also, it's waterproof (Aquarium Co-Op did a demo where literally submerged the Aquasky in 3 feet of water for 30 minutes plus and it was fine.

StuTanks

Reaction score
I am stuck between these two lights as well. What was your final decision and how do you like it??

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
I debated the two before choosing the fspec (full spectrum). They are so similar, I kept reading about them and still didn't know what to choose.

If I recall correctly, what swung my decision was how they looked illuminating a tank. I saw side-by-side pictures and the liked the fspec's color in the tank better, which is probably because it has the red and green bulbs too, not just the white and blue. You can see an example of how different lights color tanks differently here (though these might not be the exact pics I reviewed when purchasing my light):

Beamswork DA FSPEC and DHL 6500k PAR/LUX/Kelvin/PUR Data - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum

I got the newer model timer and it works great. I expect the added dimmer function is especially helpful for low tech tanks to help control algae.

StuTanks

Reaction score
Thank you! I ended up getting the FSPEC after seeing the color difference too! The 6500k looked like it had a little more of a yellow tinge to it. But after seeing these links I’m glad I went with the FSPEC

Aclman88

Reaction score
StuTanks said:
Thank you! I ended up getting the FSPEC after seeing the color difference too! The 6500k looked like it had a little more of a yellow tinge to it. But after seeing these links I’m glad I went with the FSPEC
I went with the 6500k. It doesn’t look yellow at all but I also add almond leaves and have a more black water look. I got annoyed with the beamswork timer so I got an in-line timer that has a dimmer function as well as sunrise ramp up and sunset ramp down.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like Beamswork's fspec better. It's cool, meaning the white lights are 10000k plus the blue, red and green. Green doesn't do too much for growing the plants, but there's only 2 or 4 (can't remember) green lights in my 3ft fixture.

BW's 6500k is too yellow for my liking and I have to supplement my 6500k with a 10000k fixture to soften the yellow.
My 6500k fixture with a 10000k fixture
20190804_235433.jpg

My EA fspec
20190209_035524.jpg

The only thing i'm not liking is the colors at the top. It could be because it's so open in that tank. But it really isn't as obvious in the flesh. The pic brings it out more.

Agree, the EA isn't very strong at all. Unless you are only growing java fern and amazon swords, better to get the DA and be done with it.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run Fspecs on many of my tanks for my pleasure ! They are not planted but I like the color it shows the fish at.
I use a cheap Amazon dimmer on all my FSPECS ..

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My DA FSPEC just had its power supply die 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping for a recommendation on a cheap replacement (power supply). I'm also waiting on a response from the amazon seller as the light didn't make it a year.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CHJ said:
My DA FSPEC just had its power supply die 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping for a recommendation on a cheap replacement (power supply). I'm also waiting on a response from the amazon seller as the light didn't make

Just ensure it's 12V. My old DHLs are 15V. The 50-60mz is the amount of watts it can handle (ex.6A handles 60 watts max) If your fixture uses more watts or you hook up more equipment, you just increase to 8A or whatever you need. Fyi, you can't mix 15V and 12V without a problem likely.

They are cheap lights with cheap power supplies, you buy a new one for 10$ and take a chance lol. Not ideal, but you get what you pay for.

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
CHJ said:
My DA FSPEC just had its power supply die 2 weeks ago so I'm hoping for a recommendation on a cheap replacement (power supply). I'm also waiting on a response from the amazon seller as the light didn't make it a year.
If it's within the warranty period but the seller is unresponsive you could raise the issue with Amazon. Or if purchased with a credit card providing its own extended warranty (like AmEx) you could attempt a refund that way.

StuTanks

Reaction score
CHJ said:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I read somewhere that someone’s power supply went out and they used an old laptop charger that just happened to be 12V and worked out for them.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
angelcraze said:
Just ensure it's 12V. My old DHLs are 15V. The 50-60mz is the amount of watts it can handle (ex.6A handles 60 watts max) If your fixture uses more watts or you hook up more equipment, you just increase to 8A or whatever you need. Fyi, you can't mix 15V and 12V without a problem likely.

They are cheap lights with cheap power supplies, you buy a new one for 10$ and take a chance lol. Not ideal, but you get what you pay for.
Added to my shopping cart, thanks!
The current supply says 15 v 4a (no watts listed)

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CHJ said:
Added to my shopping cart, thanks!
The current supply says 15 v 4a (no watts listed)
Oh ok, in that case, you'll need to get a 15V power supply like this one
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Switching-Power-Supply-Charger/dp/B073S4M1YV/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3TDMB4S95R9PS&keywords=15v+power+supply&qid=1565195819&s=gateway&sprefix=15V+power+,aps,263&sr=8-4

Or I think this one will work, albeit for a specific equipment, it should run the LED as well.

Your 4a PS handles 40 watts max. If you plug in more watts or run it to the max, it stands a greater chance at burning out. These handle more watts than the one you have (6a, 60 watts or 5a, 50 watts), technically it would be a bit better. It handles more watts the higher you go in volts, but to be safe I just go by 6a = 60 watts. As long as you match the volts, and can handle enough watts. If your current PS is 4a, go minimum 4a.

I'd try and contact the seller if it's still under warrantee and if you really want to, can't hurt.

New Threads