beach sand??

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It mostly depends on where the sand is collected from. The risk you take is that it may be loaded with pollutants.

Check the local laws to make sure it is legal to do this. I'm not sure but I've heard that it is against the law in some places to take sand/shells from the beach.

flameangelfan

Reaction score
Great advice Mike, wanted to add one point to it...

If this is sand from a Saltwater beach and you have a saltwater tank, I almost guarantee you will be bringing BAD bacteria and other BAD organisms into your controlled environment (your tank) where they will most likely destroy all of the beauty you have taken so much time, money and energy to create. Think long and hard about whether you want to take that kind of risk. Happy fish keeping!

Louie3

Reaction score
Sand from the beach contains silicates, dinoflaggelts and harmful chemicals from boats. I Live right next to the ocean and it made me mad when I found out its a bad idea to use beach sand

Louie3

Reaction score
Yeah if you use a bucket go down to the shore and take 5g to top off your tank you have a bunch of crud that can harm things and unbalance your current bacteria levels. But if your talking about the premade sea water offered at most LFS its already been filterd to remove that stuff

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was reading a post on another forum that LFS that has filtered seawater also contains pollutents like petroleum

here is a post I madewith a link inside

Louie3

Reaction score
a LFS filters their own sea water they collect? hmmn. I doubt they spend the time or money but I don't know how it is so I don't want to be "mean", Well I would think if someone saw a speed boat zoom by at the time someone was collecting water they would stop and think of the boats exhaust or any other chemicals that could've been dumped intentionally or by accident

Louie3

Reaction score
I used Oceanic for 1year and it was hard to keep my ALK/PH up due to the high Cal level of Oceanic, So I swithced to IO and had an easier time keeping all my levels in check.

Louie3

Reaction score
Only have an RO filter, I've been thinking about purchasing an RO/DI but heck if im happy with the results I might was well just stick to whats doing me good

Louie3

Reaction score
Thats cool. 300gal reef. Have you thought of making it a room divider? Thats what I would do if I purchased a tank that big. I live in a condo but moving to a house so I can have a huge tank set up in the shape of a "T"

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Louie3 said:
Thats cool. 300gal reef. Have you thought of making it a room divider? Thats what I would do if I purchased a tank that big. I live in a condo but moving to a house so I can have a huge tank set up in the shape of a "T"
yeah that or this 1,000 gallon I been eyeing up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom