Beach sand for shrimp vase?

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
Not wanting to spend much if anything at all, wanting to have a few cases around the house with shrimp/snails and wondering if (cleaned) beach sand is safe? I have read a lot of sites that say no, or you have to clean it/evaporate salt from it.wondering how exactly to do that? Cheers.

Best Answer - View SilverLake's answer

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HakeyrKelly said:
Not wanting to spend much if anything at all, wanting to have a few cases around the house with shrimp/snails and wondering if (cleaned) beach sand is safe? I have read a lot of sites that say no, or you have to clean it/evaporate salt from it.wondering how exactly to do that? Cheers.
In all honesty, I wouldn't bother trying with beach sand, especially ocean sand, as there is just too many ways to go wrong with it varying from not getting all the salt out (soak with water replacing the water and stirring regularly untill it came back saltless, but that would require a salinity gauge), having coral in the sand (messes with PH, Kh, and GH), and possibly just having chemicals in it from the beach you got it from. Pool filter sand is cheap and will need to be thoroughly rinsed out. Black diamond blasting sand is another good option is you want a black bottom, but needs about the same treatment.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
There could also be pollutants or microplastics in the sand. Though unlikely, there’s no way to rule out if they’re there.

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I remember years ago walking up and down a beach in Corpus Christi Texas and getting black tar balls stuck to my feet. In those days we all laid towels down in our vehicles to keep the tar from getting all over our floor boards. So you never really know what is in natural beach sand just picked up off the beach.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SilverLake said:
In all honesty, I wouldn't bother trying with beach sand, especially ocean sand, as there is just too many ways to go wrong with it varying from not getting all the salt out (soak with water replacing the water and stirring regularly untill it came back saltless, but that would require a salinity gauge), having coral in the sand (messes with PH, Kh, and GH), and possibly just having chemicals in it from the beach you got it from. Pool filter sand is cheap and will need to be thoroughly rinsed out. Black diamond blasting sand is another good option is you want a black bottom, but needs about the same treatment.
Not all pool filter sand needs rinsing. I use the one shown below straight from the bag.

1594034894194.png

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JettsPapa said:
Not all pool filter sand needs rinsing. I use the one shown below straight from the bag.

1594034894194.png
That's fair enough, I haven't looked into using it as a substitute yet myself, but when I was looking up substrait in general I remember sand usually needing to be well rinsed.

OP
HakeyrKelly

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
SilverLake said:
Fair enough, it was more to just use what I had on hand. As I don't want to get a large bag to only use a tiny amount of it. I've heard people use sand that's not from the beach, like a river or something, what if I sterilised that?

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dude even pool filter sand is more than you need to spend. Play sand is like 5 bucks at home depot for a 50lb bag. Use it in my aquariums, just rinse it and it's the cheapest substrate you can get.

OP
HakeyrKelly

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
Yeah I've only be using like a handful, so don't want to have a bunch of bags of stuff that I won't use. More of an extra set up to my original tank.

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I still say pool over play, simply because pool should be a pure silicate sand, play sand if not as pure and will require a bit more through prep.

If this is an extra kind of idea, i would say see if anyone in the hobby near you could lend you a handful or two to do your set up, collecting resources from nature can be a bit of a risk for things like sand and dirt that you can't really clean, and the resources that you can collect need to be checked and collected in certain places to make sure they are safe for your tank. Botanicals suffers from this restriction the most, followed by drift wood and rocks.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mimo91088 said:
Dude even pool filter sand is more than you need to spend. Play sand is like 5 bucks at home depot for a 50lb bag. Use it in my aquariums, just rinse it and it's the cheapest substrate you can get.
I will happily spend $10.00 for pool filter sand instead of $5.00 for play sand to not have to rinse it.

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JettsPapa said:
I will happily spend $10.00 for pool filter sand instead of $5.00 for play sand to not have to rinse it.
Yea that argument has merit for sure lol. But I'm cheap and I don't mind rinsing it lol

New Threads