Beach Driftwood / Using Superglue Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NeonTetra11, Apr 22, 2018.

1. NeonTetra11

NeonTetra11Valued MemberMember

1. I went to this beach on the Niagara river (no sand), and found some nice rocks and pieces of driftwood. What's the best way to clean the driftwood and sink them? I have them in a tub of water right now but do I have to bleach? or bake? or boil them?

2. How do you use superglue for plants, like the dollar store variety. Do I apply the glue when the wood and plants are both dry? Or can I do it by taking them out of the tank and applying it and wait for it to dry?

Thanks in advance.

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

First, you want to bake your drift wood. Then boil it and scrub it. For superglue, you can get it to work wet. put glue on the hard object and then attach the plant outside of the water. you do not need to wait for it to dry.

3. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

If you can't bake thr driftwood, you can put it in a bucket and put boiling water in it. Do that a few times.

4. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

boiling is the hard thing to do and is really just used to get rid of tannins. Bake it in the oven at 425F to destroy mold and microrganisms

5. OP
    OP
    NeonTetra11

For how long?

6. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

i normally do 45 minutes at 425

7. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Driftwood should be safe after a boil. To get it to sink can take a while depending on density, etc. Just keep it weighted underwater and it will eventually become waterlogged and stay down.

Superglue has to be REAL superglue. It needs to be Cyanoacrylate to work underwater and you can literally pull something out of the tank, squirt a drop on, stick something to it and put it back in the tank. You can also squirt it on something, put it underwater and hold it to whatever you want it stuck to.

8. OP
    OP
    NeonTetra11

I've heard that boiling it helps with water logging it. Is that true? I'm going to boil it anyways just to kill anything but helping out with water logging would be nice.

9. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Neon...

Preparing driftwood for your tank is really simple. Rinse the piece well with a pressure nozzle attached to a garden hose. Then, leave it out in the sun for a few hours. It's doubtful there's anything on the piece, but direct sunlight will kill whatever might be living there. Super glue doesn't last long under water. Water dissolves everything. I used some large rocks to keep the piece on the bottom. Test the rocks with a drop or two of vinegar. If there's a reaction of any kind, don't use it. If not, rinse well and it's tank ready.

Old

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice