BE CAREFUL WHEN CHOOSING TANK DECORE!

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
I recently lost a precious finned friend - her name was Aquamarine and she was my baby. she died because I had some large rocks in her tank. pushed up against the glass, and I pushed them with my fingers to be sure they were secure and they were - well when I woke up the next morning I woke up to find my darling Aqua dead. she had used all her strenghth to push herself between the tank wall and that rock, got stuck there, and sufficated. please people care about our finned friends and always besure that there is plenty of space for your darling friend to be able to get out of danger! I have had to learn my lesson the hard way - please learn from my mistake and take any procautions necessary to save the life of your finned friend! Miley

AesSedai

Reaction score
((((Miley))))

I can't thank you enough for sharing that. That must have been soo hard. I'm very sorry. As soon as I read it I scanned the tank and will be checking every inch of it before fish and Zen, my Betta, go back in it. Your post will cause many to check their tanks. Aqua has helped many other Bettas and fish...in a very sad way but helped nonetheless because you shared it.

((((Aqua))))

Will you be getting another? Do you have others now?

Regards and thank you,
Karyn

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, unfortunately, Bettas are the most curious of fish and love to find out what is in every little nook and cranny of their tanks.  When you buy decor that they can swim into, they need to have plenty of room to completely turn around or else two holes big enough to get in and out of or they can get in and fail to find a way out and die trying.  They have to go to the surface every so often to breathe through their Labyrinth organ and if they are trapped, they will drown.  Also, like LilNeonLover has said, fish like to go between things so please make sure to allow a good amount of space for them to get through because they will squirm into tight places if they do not have enough room and become caught.

Thank you for sharing your experience, you may save someone else some heartache.  I am so sorry that you lost your lovely Aquamarine.

Rose

OP
BettaBuddy ~ Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
Karyn,
I can't get another betta - it would just be too hard for me. instead two days ago I just got two neon tetras who are doing fine - thank god! - my sister still has her betta - Calamarrie- and hes just fine and I check his tank decorations. its a scary thing. and thank u so much for checking on Zen. good to know that some body cares! thnx , Miley

OP
BettaBuddy ~ Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
Rose,
thnx much. and yes bettas are little dare devils! they will do what they want when they want to!
that's u so much for ur comments and support! Miley

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well....mine so well behaved, he just swims in and out of my plants causing no problems. I'm so lucky

Sorry about all your losses everybody.

atm

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm so sorry that you lost Aquamarine.  I really, really, really appreciate your sharing your loss with us though.  Thanks to you I just moved some of my decor away from the tank walls.  I knew that bettas had to have a place to exit when they entered a decoration, but I hadn't even thought of the possibility of them getting stuck between a decoration and the wall.  Good advice Miley!

CherryRose

OP
BettaBuddy ~ Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
CherryRose,
I am very sad by the death of Aquamarine but shes in a better place ya know? and also I am glad that so many of you have been able to learn from my terrible mistake.   :'(it was a real trama.  thnx you Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Miley,

You are posting the same questions in areas all over the forum. Please just ask once and let us answer you. It really confuses things when everyone answers and no one knows what else has been said. Also if the question is about the tetras, please post it in the tetra area.

If you have a different question or comment, then put it in a different post but otherwise try to just put each question in only one time, okay?

Thank you.

Rose

OP
BettaBuddy ~ Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
Rose,
I know I am horrible with that. I am very sorry. I will try not too. its just hard and I get confused - I mean i'm only 14. but still that's no excuse. I am very clueless sometimes ya know? and also do u know if bettas are able to breathe when you have a water purifier thing running and the whole surface is completely filled with bubbles? thnx and sry Miley.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes they can breathe but if there is anything running so hard that it completely covers the top of the water with bubbles, it is making much too much agitation in the water for the fish. It needs to be able to get to the surface and with that much water movement it would just be tossed about. If the water is being churned up that much and he cannot get to the surface he can drown. Bettas need to have some air put in the water and some heat and to have the water filtered, but they also need the water to be fairly still not moving swiftly.

Rose

AesSedai

Reaction score
LilNeonLover said:
Karyn,
I can't get another betta - it would just be too hard for me. instead two days ago I just got two neon tetras who are doing fine - thank god! - my sister still has her betta - Calamarrie- and hes just fine and I check his tank decorations. its a scary thing. and thank u so much for checking on Zen. good to know that some body cares! thnx , Miley
You may change your mind once you're able to get a bigger tank and if not, the 2 lil fish you have now will be a lot happier in a bigger tank.

Your sister's Betta's name is very cute. I eat calimari, heh. Did she mean it to be like the name of squid?

((LilNeonLover))

OP
BettaBuddy ~ Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
yeah - I hope I can someday - they are great fish. also my sister was going to name him SushI so me and my mom had to convince her that that would just scare the poor fish!! LOL. yah she wanted him to have one of those names and thnx 4 the advice , Miley

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom