Bdbs And What Fert?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want to use BDBS as my top substrate and to cap a Fert in my 29 gallon. I would like any recommendations on a good fert that would work well with BDBS. Additionally, I was wondering what my heights for the substrate and fert should be?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in the middle of a test for 2 swords, one in bdbs with root tabs and another in organic potting mix capped with bdbs (no tabs). So far, the plant with tabs is doing better. All my root feeding plants are doing great with root tabs and just bdbs.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do the tabs need replaced occasionally or are they fairly permanent? Is it nicer if you need to relocate plants, as you won't have to worry about fert being stirred up? Sorry for all the questions I'll probably ask, just want to cover everything since I'm new to the plant scene.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
spike98 said:
Do the tabs need replaced occasionally or are they fairly permanent? Is it nicer if you need to relocate plants, as you won't have to worry about fert being stirred up? Sorry for all the questions I'll probably ask, just want to cover everything since I'm new to the plant scene.
That depends on the tabs. I use SeaChem and replace them every 3 months. Several of our aquariums have BDBS. Keep the substrate under 3" to avoid anaerobic bacteria that produces hydrogen sulfide gas.

I also use several SeaChem liquid additives.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I heard it helps to poke the substrate to prevent gas build up? Would I do this by going around in a pattern up and down the tank or would just poking a few spots be just as sufficient?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flourish tabs seem to last about 1-2 months tops. There was a noticeable lull in growth after 1 month. I switched to DIY Osmocote Plus tabs last month so I can't comment on longevity but they do take about a week or more to have any effect.

Flourish tabs dissolve into the substrate and need to be replaced every 1 to 3 months. DIY Osmocote Plus has tiny time release balls to fertilize. They're supposed to last 12 months in normal gardening use. I've heard 3-12 months in an aquarium. I believe the shell doesn't dissolve.

Root tabs are cleaner if you want to move plants around. Dirt capped substrate will turn to mud if you pull up a plant.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I successfully grew plants in a tank with just BDBS and plecostomus poop. Those fish create fertilizer like crazy.

But while those plants grew fast they may be lacking some vital Trace nutrients. The ferns did not do as well for me as the leafy plants and stemming plants.

On my next planted tank I will make some allowances for "underground" fertilizing.

I have one planted tank with regular gravel and the reverse undergravel filter, & I feed the plants by return water from the sump, roots up.

The other half of this tank has no undergravel filter and I am agitating the gravel with a large plecostomus and a gravel vac.

I'm using no fertilizer but the plants are going okay. I had to transplant them out to other tanks in order to treat that tank for disease however, so my experiment was never completed to any reasonable conclusion.

I did leave in one Anubis and some Moss balls during the treatment and they suffered considerably I'm afraid.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom