Bba: Please Help Me Get Rid Of It

AllenDahl

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have had black brush algae in my 29 gallon for months now. It is driving me crazy! I have tried so many things to get rid of it. Excel barely works. I have to triple dose it and my crypts can't stand that. Hydrogen peroxide has NO EFFECT. Upping the flow in the tank does nothing. Increasing water changes is useless. I am running out of patience. This stuff is so ugly! There's not even that much! So my question is: do I suck it up and get a CO2 system, or is there anything else (other than tearing the tank down) that I could try? I think it might be caused by an abundance of nutrients from the special plant substrate in using, but I have a good number of plants and they just don't eat it all fast enough. Any advice or ideas would help. Thank you!!

OP
AllenDahl

AllenDahl

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are some fish but one only eats it as a juvenile (I forget what it's called) and the other is the american flagfish. Which I could get but I don't really want and they're hard to find.

Asher's Fishes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
AllenDahl said:
There are some fish but one only eats it as a juvenile (I forget what it's called) and the other is the american flagfish. Which I could get but I don't really want and they're hard to find.
Are those the Chinese algae eaters; otocinclus? If they aren't maybe u could add a few. They work great for me. However they don't eat quite fast so my algae grows back. I only have 2. 5 might work for u. Good luck!

Lunas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NO as someone who is fighting this fight CAE and oto do not eat it.

SAE Siamese algae eaters do american flag fish and bamboo shrimp do. I had 3 SAE they did not eliminate but they seemed to keep the bba off my plants and that let the plants live and thrive and it was rather controlled to a point but never gone.

Bamboo only eat it when it is dead.
siamese only mow it it will be a black film and not grow as well with them around it will still be around though... And they stop eating it as they grow older in favor of flake and wafer foods...
I don't know how well American flag fish eat it.

The only way I know of to get rid of it is manual removal with a razor blade and or wire brush. perioxide and excel only help control it...

co2 might work there are some kits I want to try.

New Threads