BBA on my Val's and Sword

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello! I recently upgraded my light to a 30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 SE, running on it's programmed 24/7 mode. I just noticed some BBA and am wondering, if I use Flourish Excel, will it melt my Val's, Madagascar Lace and Anacharis? Or possibly Crypts, etc? Any suggestions on controlling it? Thanks.

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive heard the 24/7 mode breeds loads of algae. I use SAE for all my BBA needs. My Vals like it that way. Im not positive if Excel harms them or not. You could always start with 1/2 dose or 1ml. work it up from there and see how they do.

OP
Ari840

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you for your comment. What is SAE please?

I have read that Val's don't like the Excel, and have been scared to use it. Half dosage sounds like a plan, if it would be strong enough to combat the BBA? Does anyone have knowledge on this?!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I never had problems with excel melting my vals; but others claim it will. To be honest i kind of wish excel would melt my vals :(

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Siamese Algae Eater. They get to about 6 inches long so you want a 55 or larger tank.

Ari840 said:
Thank you for your comment. What is SAE please?

I have read that Val's don't like the Excel, and have been scared to use it. Half dosage sounds like a plan, if it would be strong enough to combat the BBA? Does anyone have knowledge on this?!

OP
Ari840

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If only I had the room my apt is so little....the 29 G was the biggest I could fit in the only open area I had!

OP
Ari840

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm going to try Excel and see what happens...I at least have that on hand. I don't want this stuff to get out of control!

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jake37 said:
Siamese Algae Eater. They get to about 6 inches long so you want a 55 or larger tank.
I always forget that...I like them so much. Jake just give away your dang Vals already...lol :hilarious:

OP
Ari840

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm reading about Excel and a lot of people say it melts Crypts. My Crypts are doing sooooo good. There has to be another solution to BBA. I tried hydrogen peroxide in the past and it melted my Val's horribly.

So far I'm hearing SAE and Excel. Neither seem to be good for my situation. Any other advice? Would blacking out the tank get rid of it? Unsure where it even came from but I surely don't want it to spread.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ari840 said:
I'm reading about Excel and a lot of people say it melts Crypts. My Crypts are doing sooooo good. There has to be another solution to BBA. I tried hydrogen peroxide in the past and it melted my Val's horribly.

So far I'm hearing SAE and Excel. Neither seem to be good for my situation. Any other advice? Would blacking out the tank get rid of it? Unsure where it even came from but I surely don't want it to spread.
It never hurt my crypts either. If you are worried start small doses. Let em get used to it. You could always adjust your light schedule.

OP
Ari840

Ari840

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's good news. I'll try to start introducing at half dose, as suggested. I was just reading somewhere that you need to overdose Excel for it to kill BBA. I guess at this point, there's only one way to find out! Hopefully I can work my way up and it'll just...die lol

New Threads