BBA Issues... Need Help....

Drafe

Alright, so I've had my 20 gal since last August and I didn't have any issues up until 3-4 weeks ago. I have BBA on almost every surface except my glass and substrate. There are also green beard algae on some decor. I'm guessing it happened because I started slacking off on WC but now I'm trying to keep nitrate levels below 20. I have a couple of Java ferns for live plants. What do I use to get rid of my BBA issue?

Watersplasher909

Zebra Bertie snails, otocinclus or bristlenose pleco will do the job but if you go if you go fro otos then go for 6-8

StarGirl

Zebra Bertie snails, otocinclus or bristlenose pleco will do the job but if you go if you go fro otos then go for 6-8
None of these things will eat BBA

The only things I have seen that will eat it is SAE and Flagfish. No snails or shrimp will eat it.

WRWAquarium

SAE true siamese algae eater fish should eat BBA.

Long term a 20g is a bit small but if you could temporarily stock one I would do it.

There are products you can buy to treat a tank for BBA. Can't recommend one personally but a bit or research and reviews and go from there.

Adding more live plants and increasing flow in the tank should help. I think BBA is often due to high phosphates, plants will get that down. Extra water changes too of course will help.

HupGupp

Physically removing it whenever you see any seems the best way for me. Trim away whatever can be and clean off the rest. Once or twice a month I still have a little patch appear, but if you get it right away it doesn't get a chance to spread.

Flyfisha

Hi Drafe
Any plants that are planted on wood etc that can be removed can be sprayed with 1-1/2% hydrogen peroxide and then rinsed off in 60 seconds. That’s 3% hydrogen peroxide mixed with half water.
Some plants are fine with more than 3% but I suggest you use 1-1/2 % .
Plants that are above the water on water change day can get the same treatment.

Plants objects ornaments etc below water can be squirted with 3% at point blank range with a syringe.
When hydrogen peroxide meets water the byproduct is oxygen and fresh water . I personally have used 3% hydrogen peroxide at 10 ml per day in small tanks with fish fry and cherry shrimp without an issue. This will allow you to do one small area each day.

It takes 24 hours for the BBA to turn purple and die.

Siamese algae eaters are also good at eating it but they grow to 5 or 6 inches which is not suitable for a 20 gallon and they need to be a group ideally.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Evergreen2
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Evergreen2
  • Question
  • Ssnaaiil
  • Algae
Replies
Views