Bba All Over Tank Help

1. Owen88

Owen88 Member Member

So i have bba all over my tank. It looks like bba but it’s purple and jas some green circles. I have 12 glolight tetras 6 corys 2 Amazons and some sagthat isn’t doing good. What can i do to get rid of it with a fish snail or shrimp?

2. 86 ssinit

86 ssinit Well Known Member Member

Sae will eat it. How big is your tank? What is your nitrate reading? How bad is the bba? Picture would help.
    First I would do a huge water change while vacuuming the gravel. Ornaments with bba can be dipped into hydrogen peroxide for 5 min and that will kill it. If you have a water polisher let that run for a few days stirring up the gravel as often as you can.

3. OP
    OP
    Owen88

Owen88 Member Member

60e24712c71c5a3ac1868f1f62453295.jpg 07de399391504e2683b2f1143e3addc6.jpg e403dc50dd63c1aaf10bc8569d51d241.jpg ive tried the hydrogen peroxide and it only worked for about 1.5 weeks. My tank is a 30g. I don’t have a sterilizer so i want a animal of some sort.

4. 86 ssinit

You’ve got more than bba in there. Looks like some sort of spot algae. What are your nitrate readings? What are all your reading? Siamese algae eaters may eat some of that but being a 30gal all you’d want is 2 for that size tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Owen88

Owen88 Member Member

503eece18442fb26e1ca49a5a655b329.jpg

6. 86 ssinit

Your reading are all good. How long are the lights on? What kind of lights?
    What i would suggest now is get a water polisher (magnum 350). Scrub as much off as you can clean ornaments and polish the water. When the tank is clean shut the lights off for 2 days. Than polish the water after every water change. Polish for around 2-3 hrs 1C947DF5-C751-4ED7-B0A1-2922F94EBB64.jpeg E99B4652-63AA-4E3A-8EAD-7BB3D33FC1A4.png
    Pics are backwards but the lower pic is what my tank looked like upper is now. It’s a lot of work at first but once it’s cleaned and water changes weekly it should be good.

7. OP
    OP
    Owen88

Owen88 Member Member

I cant afford a water polisher.

8. 86 ssinit

Ok I hear ya. What kind of filter are you using

9. OP
    OP
    Owen88

Owen88 Member Member

Finnex 24/7 about 8 hrs a day magniflow 220

10. 86 ssinit

178CDC76-52A6-4093-AD2C-831B11DD115C.png Both good items. Do you have the finnex on at max for 8hrs?
    Something I use is this powerhead $15. After a water change put a polishing pad around the outside of the sponge and you have a water polisher. Remove polishing pad after a few hrs soak it in a 5 to 1 bleach solution and the pad will last for a very long time. Leave the filter in the tank all the time and you now have a second filter and better water movement.

11. appcontrol

appcontrol Member Member

I would like to know do you use co2?

12. OP
    OP
    Owen88

Owen88 Member Member

No

13. appcontrol

appcontrol Member Member

Then mabey long term solution would be adding co2, adding lots of plants and especially fast growing plants soyou get balance in your tank.

14. OP
    OP
    Owen88

Owen88 Member Member

What are some plants you recommend? Do you know why my sag isnt doing very good im using root tabs

15. appcontrol

appcontrol Member Member

Probably algae eats all nutrients. Do you use fertilization? Remove all alge that you can with brush etc. Ornament dip in some bleach solution, wood get out of tank and use peroxide. Clean your tank very good, wc, gravel vacum etc. Remove dead plants, leafs and other organic stuff. Then buy some plants, i don't know what exactly plant i would recommend but tropica have some like starter bundel or go to local fish store and ask for some begginer fast growing plants or just google it.
    I would recommend you to get some kind of co2 in near future that should help.
    Other than that siamese algae eater will ear bba but only while they are small when they get adult size they will stop eating it and will be aggressive towards othe fishes so best would be if you can "rent" two of them.