Bba Algae Issue

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Recently have been having a minor outbreak of BBA ( Blackbeard Algae ) in my 20 long that currently has a Fluval 206 and an Aquaclear 40 and an air pump powered dual sponge filter running on it. My light is a Beamswork that is on 8 hours a day religiously. My inhabitants are 6-8 young guppies 4 Emerald cory cats 2 oto cats and 1 clown pleco. I've manually removed a good amount of it. I have a pretty heavy plant load IMO. and do regular weekly 20-25% water changes and on occasion a filter cleaning without killing any beneficial bacteria. ( Very familiar with the importance of the Nitrogen cycle ) My tanks are always crystal clear but this one has been a bugger to fight the BBA...any advise would be grateful

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Thanks. Yes I have 2 of them in my 55 that I got when they were about 3/4” long and have grown to about 4-41/2” now they do a great job on it when they are younger but become more lax as they get bigger and I didn’t want to get more and have them outgrow my 20 long that’s why I was looking for a different solution

Attachments

Jack B Nimble

Well Known
kallililly1973 said:
Thanks. Yes I have 2 of them in my 55 that I got when they were about 3/4” long and have grown to about 4-41/2” now they do a great job on it when they are younger but become more lax as they get bigger and I didn’t want to get more and have them outgrow my 20 long that’s why I was looking for a different solution
That's my fear as I guess you have to rehome them and nee ones every few years. On the snail topic I have never heard positive things. Perhaps floursh excel and less light and ensure you remove all dead leaves etc.

OP
kallililly1973

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Thanks I am dosing excel as well as potassium iron and thrive also on a religious schedule as I have a dry erase board with all my tanks on them and the days of the week to keep close track of what I’m dosing as well as my water change days. I will try a little less light for a week n see if that helps some thanks!!

r5n8xaw00

Well Known
Jack B Nimble said:
That's my fear as I guess you have to rehome them and nee ones every few years. On the snail topic I have never heard positive things. Perhaps floursh excel and less light and ensure you remove all dead leaves etc.
Nerite snails eat all kinds of algae and they cannot reproduce in freshwater....

New Threads