Bba Algae Issue

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kallililly1973, Mar 6, 2019.

1. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,133
    Experience:
    2 years
    Recently have been having a minor outbreak of BBA ( Blackbeard Algae ) in my 20 long that currently has a Fluval 206 and an Aquaclear 40 and an air pump powered dual sponge filter running on it. My light is a Beamswork that is on 8 hours a day religiously. My inhabitants are 6-8 young guppies 4 Emerald cory cats 2 oto cats and 1 clown pleco. I've manually removed a good amount of it. I have a pretty heavy plant load IMO. and do regular weekly 20-25% water changes and on occasion a filter cleaning without killing any beneficial bacteria. ( Very familiar with the importance of the Nitrogen cycle ) My tanks are always crystal clear but this one has been a bugger to fight the BBA...any advise would be grateful

2. Jack B Nimble

Jack B NimbleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +579
    SaE siamese algea eater

3. OP
    OP
    kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,133
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks. Yes I have 2 of them in my 55 that I got when they were about 3/4” long and have grown to about 4-41/2” now they do a great job on it when they are younger but become more lax as they get bigger and I didn’t want to get more and have them outgrow my 20 long that’s why I was looking for a different solution

Attached Files:

4. r5n8xaw00

r5n8xaw00Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Experience:
    1 year
  5. Jack B Nimble

Jack B NimbleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +579
    That's my fear as I guess you have to rehome them and nee ones every few years. On the snail topic i have never heard positive things. Perhaps floursh excel and less light and ensure you remove all dead leaves etc.

6. OP
    OP
    kallililly1973

Ratings:
    +3,133
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks I am dosing excel as well as potassium iron and thrive also on a religious schedule as I have a dry erase board with all my tanks on them and the days of the week to keep close track of what I’m dosing as well as my water change days. I will try a little less light for a week n see if that helps some thanks!!

7. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,409
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  8. r5n8xaw00

r5n8xaw00Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Experience:
    1 year
    Nerite snails eat all kinds of algae and they cannot reproduce in freshwater....

Become a Fishlore Member