Battling With Camallanus Worms, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by A White Cloud Minnow, Aug 20, 2018.

1. A White Cloud Minnow

A White Cloud MinnowValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hello FishLore!

I recently just found out that my betta has Camallanus Worms, and they look pretty bad. I ordered some Levamisole from Amazon, and it should be coming soon.

My betta has been in a really worrying state, just laying on the bottom of the tank refusing to move, when before she used to be up and moving with her tankmates.

I just found several worms on my female guppy, and she is now acting similar to my betta, hovering by the bottom of the tank and not getting excited for food like she used to.

EDIT- My betta died, and my female guppy has gotten much worse with hiding inside caves and things she never used to do.
    I will link the medication I ordered below, I ordered it quickly because it was the first thing I could find.

The product states it is powder used for goats and cattle, yet many of the reviewers of the product say they have used it in aquariums with good results.

One person stated they followed these instructions to dose the medication (Treating Your water with Levamisole) and rid the tank of the worms.

Does anyone have any suggestions on doing it? And what should I be doing for my fish in the meantime, I am beginning to worry my betta isn’t going to make it. Thank you for any help.
    This is also completely off topic, but how does the member ranking system on FishLore work? I suddenly have valued member, is it because o exceeded a certain amount of posts?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. Whitewolf

WhitewolfWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Just give them a little higher than normal dose if you can visibally see the worms coming out its butt then its badly infected live it in there for 2 days lights off use x2 the reccomended dose and then do huge water change and vacum and kill any weak fish.
    Reccomended Dose 1/4 teaspoon per 100 gallons
    Use twice that much.

3. OP
    OP
    A White Cloud Minnow

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok, the normal dose for a 10 gallon tank is .3 grams. So do I put in .6 grams instead? I should put it in and leave it for 2 days, then do a big water change with vacuuming. And what do you mean by kill any weak fish? Euthanize?

4. Whitewolf

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Some will undoubtedly have internal bacterial infections from the worms, and even if they pass them they may die. SO yes euthanize any ovbiously sick sick guppies.
    There is a dosage calculator if you search it on the internet.
    The normal 3ppm can go much higher if need be, without any serious harm if only used once or twice.
    Repeat the treatment in 2 weeks, the life cycle of camallanus is 19 days.

5. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Worms ON the fish or poking out the butt area?

I used the 2-3 ppm dosage for callamanus worms 3 times every 2 weeks. I still lost 6 cichlids that were too badly infected before I knew I had an issue, but the dosage was effective because I saw the dead worms being expelled.

I use this link for info
    https://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

Also a little tip: Soak foods in an Epsom Salt solution and let dry. I used good quality pellet food like NLS. Feed to your fish while the dewormer is in the water (for 24 hrs). The Epsom salts act as a laxative, encouraging the fish to expel any worms.

I also leave the aquarium light off during treatment because I think I remember something about Levamisole degrading in light.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2018
  6. Whitewolf

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes you can mix some of it in the food too but im not saying go really high on the dose just add a little extra make sure it works since they are already badly infected.
    Agree angelcraze

7. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Edit: I should have explained better. Soak pellets in dissolved Epsom Salts and water, add just enough to cover the pellets in the bottom of a shot glass and let them soak up all the liquid. I probably used a hair dryer to dry it quicker.

8. Whitewolf

Ratings:
    +463
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Levimssole is added to water tho. You can mix in food too

9. OP
    OP
    A White Cloud Minnow

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    3 years
    Poking out the butt area. Now only one of my fish is showing symptoms, as sadly my betta, who had it the worst passed last night. I really loved her

Ok, I’ll try that. Now only one of my fish is showing signs of being infected, a female guppy. My betta passed last night
    My guppy has hemorrhaging, and not too many worms sticking out of her. She’s been lethargic, not active, and o think he term to use is wasting?

I think I’m going to mix it in the water, it sounds like less work and some of my fry aren’t big enough to eat pellets yet.

@Gypsy13 sorry for the tag, but here is my post I was talking about. I would love to hear your advice, I don’t want anymore of my fish to die

10. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm so sorry you lost your betta I really hate to tell you this, but it's often too late once you see the worms for the fish. You're doing all you can do for them by ordering the dewormer. The dewormer is to help save the others who may not be as badly infected.

It's awful, I know, I cried over it when my fish were infected and I lost my beloved cichlids to wasting. But I know I would still be losing fish if I hadn't done the dewormer.

After you use the dewormer, do a good substrate siphoning to suck up any dead worms and a big water change to get as much med biproduct out.

Good luck, you're doing all you can.

11. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I’m sorry for your loss, and that you and your fish have to go through this. It is a tough time. I was so depressed during the weeks of treatment. I’ll be thinking of you!

I agree with giving epsom salts to help pass the worms. You can also feed shelled cooked peas. The reason why fish get secondary bacterial infections is because after the worms are paralyzed by the medication, if they can’t poop them all out the worms just stay inside and rot. Feeding the fish anything to help them pass the worms is helpful.

A few people have said this, but it is very important to vacuum the gravel before and after the meds. The worm larvae lives in the gravel so vacuuming helps remove them.

Another important thing is to thoroughly disinfect any equipment you use. If you have other tanks, i suggest treating them as well. Those worms can be passed tank to tank on a drop of water. Disinfect any water changing equipment and nets that have come into contact with the tank after you add the meds, and again after you remove the meds.

I am curious where people read that it is okay to double the recommended dose, or if this is something they tried themselves. I would be cautious to do so especially with fry.

12. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Totally agree with Jellibeen. Actually I still siphon well to get all the spots worms might hide and it was 1.5 years ago that I noticed them.

It's a battle. You against worms. I wanted to give up fishkeeping at one point, but I still had to try and save the fish that were still alive. I was determined to rid my tanks of this, just a good attitude to have while dealing with this. I still have 12 cichlids in that one tank that I saved hopefully and that feels good 1.5 years later

You'll get this! I believe in you!

13. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,117
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Excellent link. Very close to what I know to work. 2mg (1/2 teaspoon) per liter of water. Do not go over 2mg/liter because your fish are evidently heavily infested. Take carbon out of filter. I treat Tank two days wait 2 weeks treat 2 days wait 2 weeks last 2 day dose. Important to clean substrate day after 2nd dose. Again midway between biweekly doses. Levimasole is light sensitive. Heavily infested fish have very iffy chances.

14. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,117
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    This “doubling of dosing” has been making the rounds on other forums and the internet. Again. The worms need to be paralyzed at a dose that allows them to move long enough to be expelled. Overdosing is one reason the fish can’t pass the worms. Totally agree with what you say. In addition, I advise anyone with more than one tank, have separate dedicated tools and equipment for each tank. Thank you.

Yes. We believe in you! And your finbabies!

15. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That dosage bobbing around the net is preposterous. It was more than double! I don't even think the creator has tested what the minimum effective dosage is. I know the 2ppm dose was effective in my case. I hope I got all the worms, but the med did it's job.

16. bizaliz3

bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +17,161
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sorry for the loss of your betta. I read a few things here that I want to chime in one.

First, I agree, the dose sizes people suggest online are insanely high. This is why they probably lose more fish and the inverts don't survive it.

I used the link posted above (the loaches one) it had the best info and I followed the dosage exactly as it says on that link. That size dose did the trick and my inverts survived (even though so many people say they won't) and I even had brand new free swimming angel fry that hadn't even eaten their first meal survive it! Even after a blackout of the tank for 24 hours! (I covered the tanks with blankets for 24 hours)

I don't see a need to up the dose. It doesn't make it last longer.....and the normal dose does the trick for the adult worms and it is less stressful on the fish. I had a few adult angels that had the worms REALLY bad. Many worms sticking out of their butts. But amazingly, they survived. With the normal dose! I did do 2 additional doses and I had to do it to 18 TANKS! it was MISERABLE. Technically, the two infected tanks got 4 treatments. Dose 2 was just a few days after the first dose. Because all the worms weren't expelled yet. (not sure if that was needed, do they stay permanently paralyzed? or just temporarily? I couldn't find an answer to that, so I figured better safe than sorry) And then I did a 3rd and 4th 2 weeks apart on the infected tanks. The other tanks got two treatments 2 weeks apart, I never saw worms in those tanks. I have been worm free for a year now. And my QT process has been extended significantly after that experience.

I did add some Epson salt to the tank of the highly infected fish to help them pass the worms. I think most of my tanks didn't get them, but I treated to be safe.

Sadly the meds do not affect eggs or larvae. That is why lots of vacuuming is needed along with repeated treatments. I did daily water changes on 18 tanks for the weeks in between treatments. It was insane.

Good luck. I feel like treating one tank would be a breeze after having to do it to 18 tanks at once! lol

17. angelcraze

Ratings:
    +2,364
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My experience was very similar to yours @bizaliz3. The fish which I saw the worms all eventually passed away, but they were all older fish. I haven't lost any young fish to this luckily. I also treated all my tanks for good measure. But on tanks that I was pretty were safe, I only fed Fenbendazole in the food for 3 days straight every two weeks three times. Lots of siphoning in all my tanks. I fed Fenben laced food to all my tanks after 3 treatments of Levamisole.

Tbh, I tore down a bunch of tanks and consolidated as many suspected infected fish into one large tank to treat. IME, emaciated fish didn't gain weight, but young fish grew much faster after treatment and are still with me today. If the nematode didn't do too much damage, the fish may live through it. In my case, I lost the visibly infected ones, but some held on for 6 months. Most of the my fish had trouble while passing the worms I guess

18. bizaliz3

Ratings:
    +17,161
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    My only losses were before I discovered the worms. My favorite fish OF ALL TIME was a casualty and she was a young healthy fish who had recently spawned. I wish I had caught it soon enough. Strangely, the ones who had all the worms sticking out did survive. My favorite didnt show any worms. Which likely means she was unable to even pass them even slightly. (she was in one of the affected tanks) I lost a couple cories, then her, and then I noticed the bulging on the other two angels and then the red worms sticking out. One other tank was affected with two angels who also had worms sticking out. They also survived and are healthy and spawning regularly now.

Its really an awful thing to face. HOWEVER...it is the only thing I have successfully treated my fish for! Since everything else can have similar symptoms...but require different meds. At least the camallanus worms are obvious and there is a known treatment that works. There is no question about what med to use. That is the only upside to these stupid worms.

19. OP
    OP
    A White Cloud Minnow

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanl you all so much for your help and kind words. This has been hard, I feel as if it was my fault that my betta died since the week before I had been having very bad back pain (I’m young, don’t know what happened) and had been neglecting the tank. I can only wish I had caught it sooner.

My female guppy has hemmoraging and I can see one or two worms (not as bad as my betta however) do you think it may be too late for her? And how do I feed her peas to help pass the worms when she won’t eat?
    The rest of my fish are showing no symptoms at all.

Does anyone have an exact answer on how much I need to use for a 10 gallon tank? I’ve read a ton of conflicting answers, half a tablespoon per liter right? And then I dose it a couple more times after that? Sorry if asking repetitive questions, I am just so worried about my fish.

Also, how does one get Camellanus Worms in a tank in the first place? All of my fish were healthy before this and I haven’t introduced anything new.

And does this affect my cycle at all, with the water changes and and siphoning? Is it better just to drain half of the water into a bucket, bring the rest of the water and the gravel outside and rinse it all, then fill it back up with the old water? And the worms can’t live in the filter right?

Sorry for the ton of questions.

20. bizaliz3

Ratings:
    +17,161
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If your betta died from the worms, your neglecting the tank for any period of time was not the culprit. Don't be hard on yourself.

As for dosing, follow the loaches link. That is what I used. I also bought super tiny measuring spoons....like 1/16th and 1/32 of a teaspoon so I could easily treat the smaller tanks. A 10g would use 1/32 tsp. or approximately .100mg
    1/4th tsp treats approx. 90 gallons. This is why the 1/32 tsp cup came in handy.

As for how you got them.....
    do you have live plants you have added in the last couple months? Any new fish in the last couple months? Because those worms can go undetected for a LONG time. If you got eggs from a plant (which is honestly how I think I got mine) those have to hatch, and then the larvae has to be eaten by a fish, and then it has to grow into an adult worm inside the fish.....it can take a long time. And often, many fish die before the worms even poke out of their butts. Which makes it go even longer without being detected.

I didn't clean my filters when this happened. I didn't want to lose my cycles. And it didn't seem to matter....And daily water changes shouldn't hurt if your filter has a nice colony of beneficial bacteria in it. You don't have to do huge water changes, you just want to do long enough to thoroughly vacuum.