Battling Cyano

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Dcchillin, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dcchillin

Dcchillin Valued Member Member

So I've been battling cyano for a little over a week now. Last Fri I removed all the hard scape and scrubbed it with a wire brush, trimmed all cyano from plants then blacked out for a day. My normal light has been reduced to 6hr a day.

It's not bad, yet. It's just on a few blade of hair grass and I noticed a spec or two on my ludwigia, as well as a small spot or two on my driftwood.

I can't really do a week blackout as I'm still trying to get my plants adjusted (the tank is only about 3 weeks old). I'm going to do some more deep cleaning Fri probably.

Any advice outside of antibiotics?

2. Todd Beasley

Todd Beasley New Member Member

Hydrogen Peroxide! Its a miracle cure for the stuff. Just get a clean, unused spray bottle. Fill it with regular Hydrogen Peroxide (available at any grocery store or pharmacy). When you do your water change, and the water is low, spray everything showing any signs of algae with the peroxide before refilling. Once you finish the water change, step back and watch the bubbles coming up as the algae dies off. The next day, the algae will turn red and continue to die off. I do this at any signs of algae of any kind in my planted tanks, and have been able to keep everything in check without harm to fish, plants, or invertebrates. Once the Peroxide reacts, the by product is H2O... so no need to get it out of your tank later like you would with traditional medications. Using this method, I've never noticed any damage to the tanks bio filtration either, so no worries there.

Good luck, hope it helps

3. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

That would work on the bacteria as well? I could try it but to hit the grass id have to do like a 99% change haha

4. Todd Beasley

Todd Beasley New Member Member

I would think it would work for the cyano as well.

Yeah, low growing plants throw a bit of a kink in my method. Some dose the Peroxide directly to the tank and treat the whole volume of water. You will want to verify with a google search, but I think the ratio is something like 2ml/gal. I would think that this method would have a larger effect on the filtration, so it might be a good idea to turn it off for about an hour while the peroxide does its work... after that time, all that will be left is H2O so it should be fine to fire the filter back up after a bit of time. Alternately, you could also use a syringe or turkey baster to apply it to plants that are lower in the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

Dosing water directly affect fish?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice