Battle wounds or sick

OJteddy0824

I currently have 3 blue gourami in a 48g (with a handful of rasboras and Amano shrimp... planted with hiding spots.. nitrates 20). One female has always been aggressive, but mostly lip locking with other female. And no major issues. Started noticing sores on BOTH SIDES of male (he's a shy, not super aggressive male... only chases occasionally and tends to hide.. he's my oldest fish (apx 3 or 4+ years?)). Saw her nip at his side while doing a water change and he was just kinda dealing with it.. not fighting back. Didnt think too much into it since they seemed ok prior.. appeared to be hanging around one another for a while... ie she'd hover/ monitor him as he'd try to build a bubble best.. I have since put the 'aggressive female' in a breeder box for the past 2 days to see if his wounds improve. I have not noticed much difference. Although he did have the shimmies and that has seemed to calm down. The other females and inhabitants show no wounds/ sores. Anyone with a hunch, I'd love your feedback!! Ty!!

Attachments

• 20210807_123809.jpg
    20210807_123809.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210807_123843.jpg
    20210807_123843.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 23

awilkinson871

Are you 100% sure the offender is a female and not a young male that is maturing?

OJteddy0824

Are you 100% sure the offender is a female and not a young male that is maturing?
Yes positive. I've had the 2 females for alittle over a year. She's always been the most dominant since day 1, I'd notice the fin shape changing they're both a decent size now... male 4"? Females 2"?

awilkinson871

I would move him to a quarantine tank and keep the water clean to see if anything improves. You might look into adding aquarium salt or Stresscoat may help soothe the skin. If the issue continues after being moved by himself you will know it is probably a parasite or infection that you will need to treat. The alpha usually picks on a weak tankmate so it is hard to tell if she did it to him or is just taking advantage of him being weak.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
OJteddy0824
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views